Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tuesday

I made it through Monday. I got all four of my items on the list accomplished. Today the sun is shining and I have an appointment to get my hair cut. But first, walking the dog.

I wanted to talk about this. On Sunday evening, the dog decided NOT to lay on his dog bed in front of the couch where G and I watch evening television. We tried to coax him but he just stood there. And then he did the most amazing and perplexing thing. He began to make "sounds" while making eye contact. He was trying to communicate. To explain why he couldn't lay on the bed. And when it was obvious to him that we didn't understand, he sighed and lay down on the wood floor.

Last night I removed all the bedding and replaced the cover with one of his favorite beach towels and he lay right down and fell asleep. So something isn't "right" about the bedding. It could be the Febreze. All the bedding will be washed, again today and hopefully whatever "smell" it had, will be washed off. And I guess the Febreze can be used to keep him away from things we don't want him sleeping on.

The soups I made yesterday were (are) delicious. I enjoyed the cutting and chopping. "habit is more powerful than will". I almost made 1200 calories yesterday but went over. As I wrote in my journal. I can only try each day. The next day is another chance. Today I begin with oatmeal and coffee. And I have no idea where they day will take me.

When I go to work outside the home, the "habit" of employment takes over. The list of things to get done each morning starting with washing your face and ending with packing your tote and getting into the car. It all falls into place (unless something goes wrong) and each morning is the same as the one before. The evenings follow a pattern or "habit" also. Arrival, dog greetings, dog walk, change clothes, prepare the meal, eat, news, cleanup (laundry) and settle into the couch to fall asleep. Working outdoors, I fall asleep by 9 pm, which is very unusual for me.

So, in order to get any art done around here, I need the "habit" of art making. I need to begin in some small way to include art making in the pattern of my day. Mornings are spent eating breakfast in front of this keyboard. Reading blogs, sending comments and reading the newspaper on line. Then I dress for the day and walk the dog. Errands are done after the walk and the dog's lunch. (he still eats three meals a day) Afternoons are frittered away and this is where I can make the new habit fit into my day. Today. Not too much. Just a start.

My plans for the day. Get Dressed. Walk Dog. Return Book To Borders. Get Hair Cut. Groceries (return tomato paste in a tube/ buy G yogurt, juice, noodles). Throw dog stuff into washer/dryer. Make some small bit of fabric art or paint. Make Dinner.

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Excellent plan! Good luck.

I think it's a very delicate balance between being too busy and not busy enough.

Dogs are so smart.