Thursday, February 19, 2009

Not Over Until the Fat Lady Sings

We have a preview of Spring with swelling buds on the forsythia but they have been that way for several weeks now.

Last night and this morning we had heavy wet snowfall. Heart Attack Snow. G and I worked together to clear off the long driveway and garage apron. And the huge pile the plow heaps up at the bottom of the driveway. That's the heart attack part. We are wet, tired and later today, we'll be sore. Best part. While G is in the shower, after shoveling, the power goes out. I had to go in and light the bathroom candle (no windows). Nothing as exciting as a shower in complete darkness. When the town plow comes back he will certainly plow all the shoveled snow right back into the drive. It's what they do for laughs.

I have two estimates for my leaking chimney. One for $6600 to take down the 24 year old chimney and replace it with a properly built (ahem) new chimney. And one for $5600 to take down the chimney and replace the roof shingles and put up cedar clapboard, fascia etc. I have one more estimate to get. Take down chimney and replace with windows.

The brick faced hearth inside the house was built with proper bricks and is in good condition. And the hearth is a design element of the great room. So removal will change the look and character of my home. I wonder how great the importance of this brick is to the house's value? If I leave the hearth, I can eventually get a gas fired wood stove to replace the wood burning stove that I detest. No need for a chimney with a gas "wood" stove. And once we have opened Pandora's box (propane service), then I can have a gas stove and gas logs in the living room fire place. Of course, there is installation of gas lines and tank etc. $$$$.

I am certainly spending money (or thinking of spending money) like a sailor on shore leave. I can hear that fat lady warming up in the wings. I wonder if G and I could take down the chimney ourselves. A little do it yourself project. I don't like paying $75 an hour for someone to do something I could do for free. I can't build a chimney, but I can haul bricks in a wheelbarrow. It might take me 4 months to finish but I could still do it.

Lunch at 111 Maine today after we do errands. We need to visit the post office, bank, Petco (Riley's food for his kennel vacation) and Home Depot. I need to revisit the grocery store for some Graham crackers, cream cheese, eggs and a lemon. I'm making Lemon Ricotta Cheesecake for G's desserts next week (while I'm gone). I think I added cream cheese last time I made this. I wish I could buy three eggs, not six.

Pot Roast tomorrow in the crock pot. With mashed potatoes, green peas and cole slaw. My all time favorite meal. What's not to love about a good pot roast, huh?

1 comment:

Annie said...

Mmmm, just love it when you talk about food. Gives me some ideas for the 3/day. I really like having my husband home all the time (he traveled for a living previously) but that meal planning and prep is something I dislike.
I'd eat cereal and p butter sandwiches if I had my way.


: )