Monday, January 28, 2008

Doggie Day Care

Short post before getting to work. Dog has gone to daycare. G has gone to work. I am up and doing things.

My breakfast was disgusting. Oatmeal which I love plain with sugar and a splash of milk made disgusting with chopped apricots and walnuts which I love but not mixed with oatmeal. My tummy feels all "sicky". I always want to eat my oatmeal with "stuff" when I see it pictured on blogs. Oh, ick.

Of course, it COULD be the dog marrow bone that I am boiling. It got a little "winky" (rhymes with stinky) in the fridge and smelled bad but since I'm boiling it down to just bone--I think it'll be okay. So far I've changed the water three times. I know you are supposed to give it to the dog raw and of course "fresh" not "winky" but I don't. I just give him a plain clean boiled bone. Dry. And he loves them. Chews on them for hours. And has had some of them for months. I interrogated a dog bone buyer in the supermarket and she said Henry and Jake loved the bones straight from the butcher's case. They got to chew them "outdoors" and after 7 to 10 days lost interest in them and then she bought new ones. She cautioned that there could be "tummy" issues. Nope. Not going there.

Reading "without a map" a memoir by Meredith Hall. And, for some reason, I'm reading it from the back forward. This happens to me at times. Reading in reverse.

Mansfield Park was terrible. Fanny was too "now" and not very 1860's even though everyone else was. I may try reading the book just to see if the PBS rendition was awful on it's own. I think they are being shown in order but why then was Persuasion shown first? A & E should be scoring viewers for their station with their versions of Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice which were Very Nicely done.

I made a paper quilt for the Quilting Arts or CPS challenge. I like it but don't LOVE it. I'm going to read the rules again and see what is allowed. So far I've just used paper. No paint. No pencils. No markers. And I may just try all over again.

I also tried making a recycled 5 by 5 for Quilting Arts. I have to re read the rules for that as I used some fabric and perhaps everything must be recycled "trash". Mine has fabric, deli wrap and a potato mesh bag I brought back from Ohio. Ohio has the best mesh potato bags. And batting. I'm going to look for some brown paper bags. I also have some mesh leaves I found in the snow behind Michael's while walking the pup. He found popcorn, spilled coffee and gum.

The thing to remember when using "garbage" is to shop for it the same way you shop for cute fabric. Don't just pull dryer lint, thread and mesh bags out of the trash and expect beauty to emerge. Dryer lint can be "created" by washing and drying big fluffy colored items. And you get to choose the colors. New towels and sweatshirts are most excellent lint providers. When you see dryer lint in art quilts--it was "made", not found, and then carefully saved for future work.

Well, this entire post has been about garbage. Geez.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

I tried the dried fruit - Fruit Bits (tidbits of apples, cranberries, apricots, raisins, cherries, and plums) on my oatmeal too! It made me feel downright squicky! So I just stick with my Tsp of mini choc chips for topping and an 8oz side of OJ.

gema said...

My former Vet told me that raw bones are better. Apparently, when cooked, the bones splitter and of course, produce splinters. Don't underestimate the damage that can do. I used to have a German Shepard which I had to leave behind with a farming family when we were moving abroad.
He was given bones from the table and one such bone pierced him internally. It was too late to help him when it was discovered that he was ill. He died from internal bleeding.
Beef bones are the best, chicken bones the worst.