Friday, January 11, 2008

Discharging

Yesterday a thoughtful friend gave me a ride to our monthly quilt chapter meeting. We have a new meeting place and the road leading to it is dark (no street lights) and my night vision is poor on my best days. The meeting was everything a good chapter meeting should be. Nice to see old friends. Nice to meet new ones. Opportunity for laughter. Beautiful quilts at show and tell.

We always have a table of "castoffs" to rummage through for treasure. I selected three very small pieces of solid colored fabric. Two black and one dark green. This morning I soaked them thoroughly with water (even though they tried to stay dry) and layered everything in the sink and poured bleach over in a random way. I have never discharged anything before and probably this isn't "the proper method" but it's what I did. When they looked weird enough, I poured vinegar over and then rinsed them in soapy water, rinsed again and hung them to dry while Riley and I walked (in the rain and sleet).

One black discharged to a creamy yellow and the other black discharged to red (it looks pink in the photo). The green to a violet and and a lighter green. Very strange and wonderful at the same time. I can see why seasoned "black/bleach/dischargers" buy a quarter yard and run out to the car and drip bleach on the fabric to see what color it turns before making a larger purchase.

Next time I want to use a squirt bottle and make a pattern of bleach dots and circles on the fabric and not just free pour. And I should probably look for the Anti-Clor powder I bought and use that to stop the discharge instead of my "Show Me the Bunny" vinegar (Easter).

Riley in the snow from Tuesday's walk. His head is really that big. No, it isn't. He looks very well behaved doesn't he? Actually, he thinks I have a treat in my hand.

What you see when you look at what the dog is looking at. I would have missed this on my own since I spend all my time looking at the ground in front of me. Ice patrol. I really am tired of falling down. Nice big crow way up there--looking around.

What's Good Today: Pumpkin Cheesecake in the oven. Finally made our Christmas Dinner dessert. Counting calories it's 3470 for the whole thing and 434 for an 8th. My serving will probably be around 217 (16th) and I'll be a happy woman. Kale in the fridge for lunch. A new veg for me and I LOVE it.

What's Not: The stock market seems to be tanking today. My investments are getting hit pretty hard. The weather outside is "cold/rain/sleet". One of our neighbors on the street died yesterday. Never recovered from elective surgery.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Love the discharge! You must get a Clorox Bleach Pen... then you can actually "draw."

Beautiful bird picture.

Handsome happy Riley.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor.

I always am so happy to read a new post from you.