Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Wednesday

Discussion Questions at the end of this post.

So far, this week has been fun but I haven't gotten to read or create anything. I have tomorrow and the weekend to do something as my husband is off work and there will be two of us doing puppy stuff.

Riley is getting to be happy to see us and barrels over and hits me in the knees with all 44 pounds. So far I haven't fallen over. I sidestep as best I can. Nothing in the world like the happy greeting of a puppy. 100%.

Cherry tomato spaghetti for dinner tonight with the last of 2006 tomatoes. And no ripe 2007 tomatoes yet--if ever--with the temperature dropping into the 50's at night. My fault for starting the seeds so late. I have winter squash growing, not many cucumbers and all green tomatoes and lots of little yellow tomato blossoms. My cabbages look fantastic.

I have a question for all the art quilters out there who make things to sell. Do you use a gallery or agent to sell for you? If not what do you do. Do you use "gallery" pricing? That means you double the price you want to cover the commission costs. I sell a few things but think I could do better with more exposure. A website with paypal is also an option. Any thoughts on that?

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

I hope you've been able to get back in the studio. I'm eager to see some new work from you!

Pricing... It's so complicated. You seem to have developed a nice following of people that you work with directly. Maybe just sending out post cards to those folks would bring more business. There is etsy.com which is a nice web marketplace for handmade stuff.

Have you ever read Lisa Call's blog? She has lots of posts discussing the business of art.

kathy said...

Selling is not as important to me as it once was. I'll NEVER do little 'craft shows' again and I try to shy away from commission work, though I think there's one more in my future soon. When I do sell, like at the library show now, I decide my price and add 20% which is what they want. Get's it close. Everbody does it differently. I like Deborahs idea of sending out postcards to your loyal following.