Thursday, May 10, 2007

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

Today Reny goes back to the breeder and our days as dog owners come to an end. We did what was in the best interests of the puppy. G and I just had not established the dominant leadership positions that the dog needed from us and the biting and aggression Reny exhibited (as he clearly became the dominant dog) increased in violence each time. At some point G or I were going to get seriously hurt as the teeth began to break the skin.

The next owner. The next home. That is where Reny will belong and become the wonderful big dog he was meant to be.

We gave him love. And sometimes that isn't enough.

Reny knew he was saying goodbye this morning. He licked my face and leaned against my legs and let me know that he loved me as much as I love him. I think he was excited to be going on to a new adventure and lots of dogs at the kennel. In fact, I know in my heart that he was.

When you do the right thing it feels right. And as hard as this is, it feels right.

3 comments:

dee said...

Aw Joanne, I'm really sorry it didn't work out for you. It sounds like you did the best thing for the dog though. If it's not a good experience for you-the puppy wasn't happy either. Thinking of you-hoping things get back to normal soon. As soon as you figure out what normal is would you mind e-mailing me with directions(wink)

Deborah Boschert said...

I'm sad. I know you are too.

His Office, My Studio said...

You and G did the right thing. Blessing to you all!