Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Where, Oh Where, Have The Days Gone?

My box of half square triangles waiting for me to sew them into flying geese. I had them all set to sew--you know, had cute ones next to each other and all, and then I needed to do some alterations to a skirt so I could wear it to work. And everything got heaped up into a pile to clear space for the skirt. Will I ever find those cute combos again.

My second project is to create additional blocks to go with the 18 antique (sort of) blocks I bought at an auction many years ago. I think the fabrics are 40's or 50's--- not feedsack for sure, and heavy on the pretty blues. I purchased old and expensive fat quarters to use in making more blocks.

These are the two blocks I have managed to produce. This seems like a simple technique. Not much going on here. Patches sewn down with a topstitch. Well, let me just say the woman who made the other 18 blocks did a mighty fine job! This is harder to reproduce than I thought. I worked on these all day Sunday while watching The Closer on TNT instead of the Super Bowl. Which was the WORST Super Bowl I have seen. Da Bears should be mighty embarassed. All they had to do was rush Manning on every play and the guy would have had a meltdown (he's SUCH a whiner). But the Patriots could have done the job if THEY had even TRIED in the playoffs.

But I digress, Making things to "go with" something else, especially when you can't find fabrics to match the older ones--is very difficult. I don't want the blocks I make to stick out and call attention to themselves. And I only have 6 different fat quarters to choose from with the addition of some solid cheddar and deep red. I had contemplated taking some of the less wonderful blocks apart and mixing the fabrics in with mine--- but now that I've almost made two blocks-- I am NOT taking finished blocks apart. I'm crazy but not that crazy!

Now to shower, dress (in the skirt) and go to work. See you tomorrow!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you have the book, "Cotton Candy Quilts" by Mary Mashuta? It's a great inspiration for this type of project. I have it (along with a stash of vintage fabrics (feedsacks, tablecloths, etc.) with the intention of making something wonderful someday. It's a good addition to your library if you are a vintage fabric fan.

Deborah Boschert said...

Maybe there are some other bloggers out there who might have something that matches that they would be willing to share. Of course, that doesn't help with the actual task of construction.