Thursday, January 24, 2013

Scrap Fabric Collector & Late Night Shopper


Those of you who have paid attention in the (is it 7?) years I have been blogging know I am not a big fan of piecing.  Even though, in my terms as Program and President of my quilt chapter, I had the thankless task of sewing together many (mis-sized) charity blocks made by the members.  I even sashed them.  It had been my idea to have the members make a "monthly Charity Block" and I felt we had to actually do something with them.  I think we made 6 or 7 bed quilts out of them and some dear sweet person quilted all of them on her long arm.  I have one, a favorite of mine, bundled under my worktable basted onto a very puffy poly batt.  It's the brown and beige one.  Each month had a two color theme. In November we each made and donated two hand made potholders to the Elks Thanksgiving Baskets.

Twice a year we had an all day (Saturday) Quilt-A Thon.  We brought food in crock pots, snacks in bags, lots of candy and all of our projects, ironing boards, sewing machines, cutting mats etc etc.  It was like a shelter for homeless quilters. I usually baked a huge pan of cinnamon rolls and brought them warm from the oven to have with morning coffee.  I usually sat at (or near) the table where Wendy, Carol, Kathy S, Karen and Kathy B sat.  They were always laughing.  Wendy was also always making postage sized quilt blocks out of 30's fabrics or cowboy fabrics.  All the pieces for the half triangles in the above piece were collected from Wendy's "cut offs".  The centers and sashing is from my little (at the time) stash.  This is about 18 inches square-ish.  I also made two smaller doll bed quilts from 1 inch or less bits.  This is where I got my reputation for making things out of the wastebasket.  Waste Not.

I still have little quart baggies filled with little bits of fabric.  I could never throw them away.  I should have made these things in a rectangular, placemat size so I could visit with them at dinner time.

The women at that table made, and STILL make, the most gorgeous quilts.  Wendy's have won prizes all over America.  They knew everything about everything.  Taught me how to make and attach binding, straighten the sides of blocks and how to miter a border onto a quilt.  I perplexed them with my hand appliqué of a very large gay Rooster.

G is cleaning out his dresser drawers.  He's down to that.  Yesterday he finished off his office.  This morning he has found 7 pairs of glasses frames including the ones he wore the day we got married.  And he found the beautiful watch I purchased for him in Germany with the phases of the moon on the face.  We thought that was lost forever.  He also found something that needed batteries.  And an antique Nintendo Game Boy with one game which I wrapped and stuck into the box I am filling for my son.  I also found Fire.  If my son is reading this, he is now very happy.

I was just "passing through" the channels last night and came across a one hour special price deal with 7 minutes left.  A Fuji FinePix camera for less than $160.  I dialed.  In 3 to 7 days I will see what I bought.  The camera I am now using is a Fuji FinePix purchased about 7 years ago (also late at night from a shopping channel).  I love it but it is getting old.  The features on the new camera I saw last night looked familiar.  And it was a "black body" camera.  I was going to say it makes movies, but the one I have can do that--but I have never used that feature.  In fact, all the accessories and video are still in the original box.  All I wanted to do was take pictures and post them on the internet.

My husband's roommate from college works for Fuji.  D sent me film once.  That was nice.  And I still own Doug's old black body Nikon.  I LOVE that old film camera with adjustable everything.  Nothing automatic at all.  We got it in the mid 60's and it was already old by then.  And very heavy.  I am hoping this new Fuji is wonderful.  I'll show it to you in 3 to 7 days.

No comments: