Friday, March 16, 2012

Another Interesting Day At Work

For a very few moments today, I was close to being angry and unhappy with my job.  But, I snapped out of it and refused to go down that road (the road I traveled on last year) and just decided to "do what I could with the work I was asked to do".   So I watered and hummed a little tune.  I snipped dead blossoms and talked to the plant.  I scrubbed large planter pots with Simple Green and hosed them off while standing outside in 45 degree rain and wind with a high school senior discussing career options.  But my biggest challenge came just as the last hour of the work day began.  I was walking to the bathroom (drinking water all day) and passed a customer looking at the cut flower coolers.  I asked if she needed help.  She said she needed a bouquet.  We had lovely Market Bouquets.  No.  She needed a Wedding Bouquet.  Now.  Not tomorrow when the regular Floral Dept. staff would be working.   Now. When I was working, alone.  And had never made a real Wedding Bouquet.

But we did.  We chose white flowers with a touch of green, French roses.  Filler flowers, baby's breath, ferns, in a circle which I tied with ribbon and then cut and wrapped the stems in white satin ribbon.  Everything worked out like a charm.  Like some higher power was making it work.

Because, as Paul Harvey used to say, here's the rest of the story.  The wedding was being held at the groom's deathbed. They had been partners for 20 plus years but the groom had decided it was time to make his love, his wife.  The customer at the cooler was the groom's daughter.  She wasn't sure, but she thought the bride should have a bouquet.

I was so glad that hours earlier I had decided to be happy at work instead of grumpy.

2 comments:

Deborah Boschert said...

Oh my. What a story. I am so glad YOU were there.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Such a lovely, lovely story.