Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Red, Tuberous Begonias

Love the yellow centers in these deep red flowers. The most interesting aspect, from my point of view, is that the same plant produces singles and rose shaped multi petals flowers. The flower to the right is multi petaled. These plants are very popular with the age group older than me. 70's and 80's. It always surprises me to be "next up" so to speak. 60's. Does this make the tuberous begonia an "old fashioned" flower?

My tiny bok choy are starting to produce varigated white and green leaves. No longer such babies. Need to plant them today. I was thinking of planting them in a spiral design in the herb bed. But, knowing myself too well, they will ultimately be arranged in rows or a nice tidy square. Possibly near the self seeded dill patch.

Riley and I slept late this morning. 9am. I feel refreshed and ready to be busy. Riley is outside chewing tree branches, chasing birds & squirrels, and smelling & rolling in the grass. My orange tree is back outside after a night inside the sunroom. I should purchase citrus soil and food for the orange and repot it into more comfortable quarters, now that it has decided to live.

For myself? I may have to accept that my dream of wearing a size 10 pair of pants on a regular basis isn't going to happen again. I had managed to get myself that thin at the end of 2007 and the winter of 2008. I felt amazing. Like my "real" self. Light, active, healthy, attractive. But I couldn't sustain a 1200 calorie diet that first year working in the greenhouse. I was too physically active and starving by 10 am. Perhaps if I had managed my food intake better, eating more energy dense things with low calories. But I didn't and here we are. Whenever I try to go back to the 1200 calories, my body which remembers that 15 months very well, protests. My body forgets how to poop. My body is hungry ALL the time. My body acts like it has no will to live. Not that I let my body have it's way. I am somewhere between 1200 and 1800 calories a day. Never more. Maintaining my large rear end and saddle back hips. Wearing loose fitting size medium Flax linen pants and 16W J. Jill's. My size 12 pants are folded in the closet. I could possibly "squeeze" myself into the size 14 pants but I just HATE feeling like a densely packed sausage unable to bend over and pick a dollar bill up off the street. And I hate thinking what I would look like, to strangers, all squeezed into those pants. Tight clothes make you look fatter than you are. Just right clothes make you look good. Too big clothes make you look fatter than you are. The Goldilocks Theory. Again.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

I have some jeans in another closet that I should just dispose of since, I too, will never get into that size. Who am I trying to kid? Myself, I guess.