Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Salt

I had other, labeled and edited photos for you today but this is the only one that made it into the file. The others are floating free in the ethernet. Salt. The most important "spice" in the cupboard. And it must be added before cooking in order to do what it does best. Yesterday I made mushroom pasta. I used my favorite Jamie Oliver recipe and changed it up just a bit to suit my tastes. His calls for heaps of fresh wild mushrooms. Mine uses some baby bellas and a package of dried mushrooms (soaked in boiling water for 30 minutes). His calls for butter and I add heavy cream. It was delicious.

The we settled in to watch downhill skiing, pairs free skate and the ice racing. In the end, I turned off the television. Too many commercials and too little of anything worth watching. The downhill was a test of who could make it across the line. No World records. No Olympic records. Just skiing over bad surfaces. Crusted ice and at the bottom, slush. The audience at the pairs free skate looked bored. No applause. No cowbells. No flowers on the ice. And the ice racing? A one hour delay which turned into a two hour delay because the "state of the art" electric Zambonis were cutting grooves and lumps into the racing ice. And the racers had warmed up. And were now getting lactic acid build up in their thigh muscles. And would need to warm up again, and the ice would need to be freshened, again, and the ice machines would screw up again. etc. I watched one of the medal ceremonies. Gag! Everyone looks like they are attending a funeral. Especially those tall "models" dressed in black or dark brown marching the medal winners in. Little joy.

We are supposed (television weather man) to be getting 6 to 10 inches of snow today. Our schools are on break this week so it would be nice for them to have some snow to play in. The sky is grey but that's about all that is happening. My little weather indicator on the desktop says "sunny" and 35. Same thing it said yesterday. And we had 35 but no sun.

My Pomegranate and Chocolate Kangas arrived yesterday. The Chocolate one is the best of the two, as it fits sort of loosely. The Pomegranate one is still snug at the hipline but wider at the shoulder and bustline. So, not radiantly happy.

I had eggs and grits for breakfast yesterday. My egg yolks weren't runny enough. So not a perfect breakfast. The grits were delicious. Just coarse yellow cornmeal and water (1/4 cup to one cup water) and a pinch of salt. No butter or cheese. I have whole grain bread I could toast and try to make better eggs or I can just have my regular oatmeal.

Curling will be on from 12 to 3 (mens) and then from 5 to 8 (womens) today. Unless, they have problems with the ice in that event as well. I will be walking Riley after his lunch so I will set the TiVo to record. Tomorrow the women are at 12 and the men at 5. Someone referred to Curling as "Chess played on ice". There's something very Zen like about it and I find it very relaxing. It's also on from 10.30 to 1 in the morning every night.

I think we are having breaded pork chops tonight. With some sort of potato. No applesauce as I forgot to buy apples. And that's it for plans for the day. Curling, dog walking, cooking. And some book reading. My Wallander is very good. The Fifth Woman.

And, yes, I will show you the construction of the Easter Bunny House. Right now I am trying to decide on the "lot" size and the height and width of the house and the size of the garden area. Proportion. Not too big. Not too small. Not too tall. Or too short. It's not the fancy bit, but all the fake carrots and "stuff" won't help a bad design. G has suggested no cardboard box, but rather a thin wood board construction for the house. The Spooky House is cardboard and has lasted for almost 8 years. But I do have a wooden doll house to replace it, purchased on clearance. G feels I should start with what I want in the end. A wooden structure. We'll see.

1 comment:

Deborah Boschert said...

Another excellent picture. So much depth and interest in only those two spare colors.

Most interesting thing about the figure skating was the blue and green landscape design on the sideboards around the rink. I wanted a closeup of that not obscured by skaters.