Monday, August 17, 2009

Veggie Burgers

I had this recipe and wanted to try it out. Grated sweet potato, carrot and onion bound with one egg, one cup flour, teaspoon of baking powder, salt and pepper and garlic. Divide into 6 burgers and fry in hot oil four minutes on each side.

They are crispy and sort of candy like on the outside and still unfinished on the inside. But I have eaten two and enjoyed them a great deal. I think a lower temp in the frying and longer on each side and the center may get solid. It's amazing how wet one egg can be.

My friend Patty gave me the recipe and she brought her version one evening for dinner. She had added more egg and some leftover rice and cheese to hers.

Even with it's squishy center, these burgers are 100% better than the frozen ones at the grocery. Very tasty. Even better with bacon and fried onions, I bet.

It's hot and sunny today and I have the a/c on and only walked the dog one mile. It was too hot out there. He did all his business and is now laying flat out on the tile floor in the sunroom with the overhead fan cooling him off. I have the hose running in the veg garden and need to do a bit of weed pulling when I go shut the water off. I got some beans, 2 zucchini and a few misfit cucumbers. There are tomatoes on my plants but also evidence of blight.

Already we are seeing shortages of produce in the grocery. No spinach or tomatoes. Plenty of cucumbers and squash. From somewhere else. Lots of corn. Maine blueberries. Five dollar small watermelons.

We are having Mexican Casserole tonight with guacamole made with the two avocados I bought last week. They still look okay. I may or may not make my own enchilada sauce. I'm on the fence and may go to the store in a few minutes and pick up a can. Along with a package of pitas. I promised a co worker a veggie burger tomorrow. I think I will bake them for awhile in the lunchroom toaster oven before serving with lettuce and cucumbers.

I also need to buy more ice pops for the work freezer. Little treats for hot days.

2 comments:

Terry Grant said...

Mmmm. This looks good. I will try it. We try to have at least one vegetarian meal a week. I like the Garden Burger brand of veggie burgers, but other brands, especially the ones with soy are foul IMO!

Deborah Boschert said...

Yum. All very good. It's so good to try new things.