Thursday, January 29, 2009

I Found Some Wonky Inspiration

This is the picture I wanted to post yesterday. My clivia is ready to bloom. and that's my applique Chickens and French Baskets quilt. I pieced the baskets and appliqued the handles by hand. And redrew the pattern which was for a smaller, very country style quilt. Still haven't added the binding.

Anyway, I was reading Simply Robin this morning and came across the "Project Improv" started by "tallgrassprairiestudio.blogspot.com" (I still do not know how to link) and also read her "wonky log cabin block tutorial" (in her sidebar) because it had huge polka dots (white on black) and you know, I am ALL about the polka dots! I even have a piece of yardage with big white dots on a red background which I had no idea how to use in some super cute design. Now I am going to make polka dot wonky log cabins. The tutorial is EXCELLENT! I discovered I had been making my "wonky" cuts a lot too severe and that any cut intensifies as the block grows. The compass pin is a great idea from Denise Schmidt.

The "Project Improv" invites everyone to join in and make a wonky quilt plus an extra 12 inch block for a future charity quilt (quilts). You get to select a color combo from a list. But if you just want to play and make one block--well, they need them by April 1st. So start your wonky up!

The rain started at around 7 pm and all our new snow has a crusty top layer which is making dog fun in the yard a struggle. So G ran lots of paths all over the yard with the snow blower so we could chase the dog around the yard (on the paths). It's like a maze but instead of boxwood hedges, we have banks of ice covered snow. And the sun is BLINDING! Riley (the dog) may need some of those ridiculous dog sun goggles.

We eat out today at 111 Maine (if it is still in business, so far about 6 businesses on our Maine Street have closed, just gave up, walked away) so I get the day off and don't have to cook tonight. We usually eat lunch late and just need some popcorn while watching CSI, though we don't like the new guy so may not be watching much CSI now that Grissom is gone. We do have "Life on Mars" to watch on TiVo and Law and Order (from last night when we watched Top Chef).

Editor's Note: These Art Rules or Working Suggestions are from the Painter's Keys and are not my own. And comments on the rules ARE mine alone.

Art Rule #6. Work Alone. Well, that's about all I have to work with here in Maine. Me. Alone. and that's not working so hot for me right now.

Art Rule #7. Replace passive consumption with creative production. What does this mean? Stop shopping and start making things out of saved onion mesh bags? Passive Consumption. Passive : receptive to outside impressions or influences. Consumption: the utilization of economic goods in the satisfaction of wants or in the process of production resulting chiefly in their destruction, deterioration or transformation.

Rule #7 is heavy. So don't transform your supplies into things other people have already made. And we all know Rule #2 which is all about having enough equipment and supplies. So we have to take all our stockpiled supplies and equipment and use them in creative ways, that no one else has yet discovered.

On another, completely different subject, while watching Thomas Hardy's Tess on Masterpiece Theater, I found myself completely wanting a wool shoulder/wrap around to the small of the back scarf like the one Tess wore during the winter scenes. Warm, but out of the way. Meaning not likely to drop into paint, the sink, or a pot of soup or get caught in the kitchen drawers when closed. Anyone out there, who knits, want to make one for me? Or would this be an easy beginner project, if one had a pattern. Probably a big triangle with long tails.

Time for a shower. Laundry. Suduko puzzle. And G just found a message on his cell phone from my Dad's attorney so I guess I have to return her call and find out what she wants.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Here's how to create a link: go to the web site you want to link to and copy the url. In your post in blogger, highlight the name/words etc that you want to link from and then look for the little icon that looks like a chain. click on that and a dialog box comes up; this is where you can either type or paste the url into from the website you want to link to. HTH

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne, Where are your Art Rules coming from? Are they yours? I am really enjoying them. Glad to see Jeff go home on Top Chef last night - he over thinks everything and thinks that a lot of processes equal good flavor - NOT! However, the thought of warm ceviche does turn my stomach. Who do you think will win? Aloha!