Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Pigsqueak

When I purchased this at a half price, end of season, plant sale in September I had no idea it was called Pigsqueak. A Bergenia. Big leaves and a pink spring flower. The leaves age into brilliant fall colors like red. This pigsqueak is actually a pipsqueak. Not much leg on it. Hope it grows.

Today I will be making my first set of "book sale phone calls" to volunteers for set up. Yes, I'm still helping the library. Don't comment. I have been going to bed early and waking on my own at around 5:30 in the morning. Feels good to not be tired. G and the Pupster wake up an hour later. So anyway, here I am at 8 am, waiting for people to be awake and ready to answer the phone. Blogging while I wait.

I had a wonderful breakfast of vanilla yogurt, Grape Nuts, thawed raspberries (from my garden) and a sliced, fresh, juicy peach. The peach was a thank you gift from a customer. Peaches for a peach. See, I AM good at customer service. The peaches are amazing. I think she purchased them at the roadside vegetable stand I pass on the way to work. They have hand painted signs (which I adore) that advertise fresh peaches and cherries right now. I think the owner drives to and from Florida with the produce.

Studio in the Woods posted pictures of a field trip to Natasha Kemper-Cullen's studio in Maine. Oh, I loved the garden art! I took a workshop with Natasha and loved the three long tables in the middle of the light filled space. I liked the tiny 3 CD player in the corner which filled the space with soft, dreamy music which helped us be creative. Natasha begins each day in her studio in the early morning; walking in and just drifting along until something engages her and she starts working. I can just see her walking along the tables, looking at projects, baskets of materials, her paints and dyes etc. before choosing what suits her mood. With three long tables, she can work on several things at once and leave them in progress. Wouldn't that be wonderful?

I have piles. And in order to switch from one thing to another I have to rearrange, unpile, pile, hunt for supplies--- and by then I'm tired and frustrated. No wonder I don't produce a quality product. I appreciate "Order & Space". Why don't I have any?

Yesterday I got to plant up 6 or 7 planters with any materials I wanted. Cost was no consideration. No dirt was to be left visible. This is such a departure from the usual, that I had trouble dealing with it at first. I could be creative, indulgent and extravagant. Wow. We have one more huge order of 82 boxes of plants for a restaurant and June wedding flowers to compose. The bride wants planted containers which she will give as gifts to her wedding guests after the reception. No cut flowers. I have also helped several customers find materials they had on written lists or clipped magazine pictures. Perennials. I enjoy being able to recognize and find the stuff all on my own. I certainly have learned alot in the 6 weeks I've been working. Amazing. Of course, I study reference books in the evenings.

What's Good Today: Raining. G completed weeding the perennial bed we see when we look out the kitchen and dining room windows. It was overrun with grass and weeds. G planted the new "Bowl of Beauty" peony in the newly weeded bed and the citrus mix Gazania (prehistoric looking daisies) by the mailbox. The label says they like it "hot" and that's what they will be getting. I want to mix soil and plant the window boxes on the shed. Sky blue petunias, rose Nicotiana and upright Verbena in a grape color. I had G save a prehistoric daisy for the center of each box to keep the arrangement from being "too sweet".

What's Fantastic Today: Just killed a mosquito. I am doing a science experiment on myself. Taking large doses of B vitamins to see if I can repel mosquitoes. I have always "attracted" the biting monsters and usually have blood dripping off my ankles all summer. If this doesn't work then I will be showering with Fels Naptha soap. An old Girl Scout trick.

No comments: