Saturday, July 31, 2010

Supper Solo

I just didn't want to bother cooking anything. It's as simple a meal as I can make. Cereal and soy milk. After working all day and running out of enthusiasm for the job 2.5 hours before I could go home. I stayed till the end. Bravo.

I have to decide how I will spend my "solo" evening. After my shower. I can read. Watch a disc of Fringe season one. I can work on the three place mats I started on Thursday evening while watching Project Runway. Yes. I did fabric work. And I cleared a place on the worktable for actual work. Amazing. I can eat zucchini brownies with a cup of coffee. Do a load of dark work laundry and even get the dog towels washed. Multi-tasking.

When G had a corporate job, he traveled all the time and was frequently away from home. I grew to enjoy the freedom I had on those days and evenings to do what I wanted, eat what I wanted, wear pajamas all day, stay up all night reading and then sleep all day (this was before we had a dog). So, it is sweet indeed, to have this one evening a month to just be ME. No explanations. The Single Life.

2 comments:

Diane N said...

I know exactly what you mean. It is refreshing to be alone (sans husband) every now and again.

Mty husband used to travel a LOT and I savored the freedom.

My favorite memory of those times was a rainy April day when I stayed in my nightgown all day long, listened to the rain falling and watched a Clark Gable/Jean Harlow marathon on TCM. No cooking, no cleaning, no laundry. Just me being super comfortable. Even the dogs vegged out.

Annie said...

We seem to be a similar group here. My hubby too traveled for a living, so I enjoyed the single life of doing as I pleased all day. But then he retired and now is home all day every day and I have to do things like prepare 3 meals a day, do lots of laundry and keep the house clean.

After a bit of transition, I really do enjoy having him home. Also, I no longer have to do the yardwork, I hated mowing the lawn and shoveling snow, cleaning gutters, etc,etc.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly enjoying this weekend as he and a buddy are off on a motorcycle trip for a few days.

: )