Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I thought I would alert all my readers to a wonderful low calorie "bread". I just made a second loaf and while it's baking I thought I would share this recipe from ClosetCooking.

Chocolate Zucchini Loaf

1.5 cups grated zucchini (grated, drained and squeezed dry) I measure after the squeezing
3/4 cup brown sugar (mine was dark brown)
1/4 cup oil (yes, that tiny bit)
1/2 cup low fat vanilla yogurt (non fat is okay also) If you have plain then add a teas of vanilla
1 egg (I use EggBeaters)

1.5 cups flour (can be 1 c white and .5 cup whole wheat pastry)
1/2 teas baking soda
1/2 teas baking powder
1/2 teas salt
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
shake or two of cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Mix all the wet stuff together with a spoon and lots of muscle or with a mixer.
Then add the dry and mix again.
Spoon out into a greased loaf pan
Bake for one hour (or until pick tests clean) in 350 degree oven.

Let cool completely before cutting (unlike me!) I would perhaps try to use less brown sugar next time (mix in some white) and skip the cinnamon. But there is no taste of the zucchini. Just chocolate. Very tender crumb. Moist.


I also found another recipe which I will be trying next. Today. Because we haven't had a good dessert in ages.

Zucchini Brownies

1/2 cup oil (or 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup vanilla yogurt for more cake like brownies)
1.5 cups white sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1.5 teas baking soda
1/2 teas salt
2 cups shredded, drained, squeezed zucchini
optional (some chocolate chips) to make it even more chocolatey.

Mix sugar and oil together. Measure all dry stuff in another bowl and then add. Or just measure into the sugar and oil like I do. Will look dry. Then add the zucchini which has been squeezed dry in a towel. Mix and then scoop into the greased brownie pan of your choice.

9 by 9 inch pan for 45 minutes (this seems long) or 9 by 13 inch pan for 20 to 30 minutes.
Again, toothpick test as you get close to the end of the baking time. Overbaked brownies aren't delicious. These are zucchini brownies so they aren't like full butter and chocolate brownies.

The addition of an egg (Beater) to this recipe and the use of the yogurt make the end result more cake like and less dense and fudge like. But in that case, spread it with chocolate frosting and call it a party! You do like cake?

3 comments:

Diane N said...

I have made the zucchini brownies and they're pretty good. I hope you will like them, too.

Quilterin said...

Thank you for sharing the recepies, my zucchini harvest is finally starting. Right now they are small enough to make salads, grill them and use them in stews. I am looking forward to the time they get too much!

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Yum. I'm looking forward to making some of the chocolate zucchini bread. Thanks.