Monday, April 30, 2007

Where did the Puppy Go?

Yes. This is my puppy at 15 weeks. No longer the pudgy, goofy little baby. This guy has attitude and a stubborn streak a mile wide. Today I cried. Big sobs. He was snarling. Biting. Acting like an aggressive, out of control dog. For the second day in a row. So we both had a time out. His was in the crate. Mine was a big cry. Then we went for a mile walk in the pouring rain. Both wet, cold and miserable. After I dried him off, Reny went into his crate (on his own) to just sit in the corner. I made chicken soup for G to eat when he gets home and the dog watched me. Reny and I are being cautious of each other. The crying upset him.

A co worker has just put a deposit down on a lab puppy. Wouldn't you think I was a good example of why you don't want to buy a puppy? I guess not.

I have a Book Sale meeting before work and then I'm working till 8 pm. Reny should be asleep for the night by then. One day at a time. I feel like such a rotten person. Who doesn't love a puppy? Me.

My friend J says this is all caused by me being a "control freak" and not being able to control the dog. Another friend asks what I would expect from a human baby of say 2 years (cause that's about how old Reny is and he's just saying "no"). Reny is certainly better than a human 2 year old.

There are more good moments in a day than bad ones. There has been no punishment. I worry that Reny is not as happy as he was in the beginning. Before "sit", "stay", "leave it", "ouch" (for biting), and the one he hates most "heel". Oh, and "drop it" when he mouths the leash. He is less eager to "come" because I usually want him to come back to me and leave behind assorted neighbors, stinky things in the woods and this morning--a corn cob.

So far, Reny has found 2 corn cobs and one chicken wing in the front yard. Someone's dinner? Where is this stuff coming from?? Crows? Garbage bags? Passing cars? All it takes is a little reinforcement-- and 2 corn cobs is enough--and Reny is looking, sniffing and quartering the front yard hunting for food. His parents, grandparents and great grandparents are all field champions. Reny is bred to sniff, hunt and cover the ground. You should see him track birds as they fly over. Wow. And he hasn't had any field training. I wish we lived near a big open field so he could run and "hunt". But would he "come" back to me?

No comments: