Sunday, July 23, 2006

Educating Me

Never one to leave well enough alone, I got myself appointed to a Town committee. The one where we try to save the old high school from demolition and then find a re use for it. My first attended meeting was last Thursday (I missed the first meeting) and I have been on the learning curve since then.

My first mailing was an inch thick package of information. To read. To memorize? So it goes without saying that I was the quietest member of the committee on Thursday evening. I was just trying to figure things out. And the meetings are on television. Ick!

I wanted to be a "team player" so I volunteered for the first sub committee to be formed. We are drafting an RFQ. Request For Qualification. We need an expert or team of them to prepare items for the RFP. Request For Proposal. So I've been googling and trying to get information on what a great RFP proposal looks like so I know what kind of RFQ we need to help build it. I am SO out of my element!!!

Now you know why I haven't been posting or making art or anything. I did make bread yesterday afternoon just so I could knead the dough and vent some frustration. Made half into a tasty focaccia and the other half is in the fridge waiting to be pizza. I think onion and olive to go with a salad of romaine lettuce coming out of my garden. We had zucchini for lunch and more is now sitting on my counter top. Oy!

I'm going to see if I can find a Greek Mousaka recipe. When I visited Greece we had many different varieties of this dish. Made with potatoes, eggplant and I think squash. I loved them all. YES! Found one and it calls for three and a half pounds of zucchini.

Now I have to get down on the floor and clean out some space in the "refrigerator from hell". Jennair. Never buy one! The only time it looks spacious is when it's empty. I even have one of the shelves removed so items taller than 5 inches can go in. Wine bottle? No. Gallons of milk? No. Watermelon? Well, I have one in there right now and things are very crowded. Eggs? The only place they can go--well, it's so secluded, you forget you have eggs. We lost the applesauce and had to remove everything from two shelves before we caught a glimpse of the jar and dug it out.

I want an LG French Door Fridge with Freezer on the bottom. I want to be able to STAND and find food. I am SO tired of kneeling on the floor searching for things. If anyone from LG is out there reading this---- give me a fridge and I will blog about it endlessly until everyone wants one. Please! RFR. Request For Refrigerator.

2 comments:

Shelina said...

Joanne, you are welcome to be my cook anyday! All of the items you mentioned sound awesome!

I've heard of RFQs and RFPs but unfortunately can't be of any help to you.

Having a refrigerator that you can see things in is very important. I like mine. It has glass shelves so you can see through, and you can take out one at a time, so if you spill something, you can just clean the one shelf. You can move the shelves up and down. Things still get lost in there. I think they need to make refrigerators wider, so everything in there is in front. It's an Amana.
I don't think it has enough freezer space, but just may be because we buy almost everything frozen.

Unknown said...

Joanne, I have a GE Profile fridge top/freezer bottom and I love it. It took some doing to convince my husband to go that route (he wanted side-by-side -GAG), but I'm tall and I hated stooping down to see what was in the fridge too. The freezer is a drawer with handy pull outs (and an ICE MAKER!) that makes it very convenient. Beware the French door styles...I've had a couple of friends who've had trouble with that style, mostly the doors not wanting to stay shut or shut tightly. Good luck to you!!