Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Y or Why Not?

This piece was made a while back. It has many "Y" elements in it and was supposed to eventually have a "Y" shaped stick (branch) sewn to the center of the white section. I misplaced the stick. And began to lose interest in fabric with objects sewn to the surface. And I would have had the devil of a time making the quilt sturdy enough to hold the stick. It was a good size. The pieces I am photographing this month are mostly unfinished. And I am cropping them in iPhoto. I may "crop" them in real life. Chop. Chop.

We had leftover Saturday pizza for dinner and I made P's recipe for hummus. P, I licked the processor bowl, that stuff is SO good. Can't wait for lunch today. With carrot sticks. G bought some linguini and I have packages of frozen shrimp in garlic sauce. Sounds like dinner to me.

Riley is outside, I haven't had breakfast yet, and we are going out for a nice walk after Riley's lunch. Riley wasn't a very active walker yesterday. Tired from the weekend and all the dog/dog play he very happily participated in in the woods. I did manage to carry the deck chairs down from the attic safely and sat out there afterwards, in mottled sunshine. I noticed some rust on the chairs (structural part) and wonder if it is fixable? We have had these chairs for 27 years (Ikea, Germany) and they are very comfortable with high backs for snoozing or suntans. Today the air is colder and the sun stronger. I noticed that a number of neighbors had cleaned their yards of winter debris and road sand. We didn't. I need to carry the Fig out to the deck. The Fig overnights on the sunporch.

My orchids are getting ready to bloom and I need to decide what to do about my geraniums. Cut and root or let them go. I have pink, magenta and a deep purple with white edges. All overwintered from last season. I do want to buy a white.

We watched House last night and it was terrible. Such a disappointment. Law and Order wasn't all that good either. Everyone seems too tired to do much of anything. And bored. L&O Criminal Intent is back on at the end of the month with all new people. And Fringe. And Lost. And Dancing With The Stars. G likes it. And Survivor. I think I have stopped watching Project Runway. Terrible sewing. Ugly clothes. What will I do when television becomes too boring to watch? Movies are already too awful to watch. My friend K always would see two or more movies in the theater on weekends. Now she almost never goes, unless it's with her small grandchildren. Now, that is bad news for the industry. K thinks the children's movies stink too.

Our local library system has, once again, lost the statewide intra-library courier service. So my reserve book list will sit, unmoving, for several months. No one can make money driving boxes of books from north to south in Maine. And individual libraries can't afford to buy all the books their patrons want to read. I have to find authors with deep backlogs of books on our library shelves. Books we haven't read. Purchasing fiction has never been a priority at my library. It was always non-fiction. So finding several authors for G to read in the next few months is going to be very difficult without borrowing from other libraries. I can always stop reading. I think all the libraries should have charged us a dollar a book for transportation. Would have cut down on unnecessary borrowing. And a dollar is a wonderful bargain for the gift of reading a book you refuse to purchase. All the dollars could have been given to the courier service so they could make a profit. $130 a day at my library. I think.

Time to decide on breakfast. Hot or Cold. And Riley wants me to come sit on the deck while he chews sticks.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

I KNEW you'd like the hummus recipe. Our local library charges $1 for inter-library loans. It helps.