Monday, March 22, 2010

After Work Post

I found my insulated coffee mug. I asked a guy to fix the hose and it stopped spraying on me. I brought a box of Fiber One bars to work in case I was hungry. I made a nice, large salad for lunch. And I took a Mason jar of coffee to work. Everything that was wrong in my world yesterday, was now right. And it started raining just as Riley and I turned the car onto "our" road on the way home.

We're having Mushroom Pasta for dinner and watching Dancing With the Stars. I bought a wedge of carrot cake for G to have with the remainder of coffee in the pot.

The art above is part of the new collage/art book that I am altering. I started by trying to do what every one else does with paint. It didn't work for me. So I stopped trying to be someone I'm not, and got out the Yes! paste and a brush and my tearout pages from Vogue. And I started tearing and pasting. Building a "person" out of images of two or twenty other images. All these images are pasted onto the pages of a 1980 children's Christmas book (already marked up by a previous owner). Each collaged model is better than the one before and I feel free to go back and forth. One model has had three heads. Each new one pasted over the previous one. And new legs. And it's fun. Which the paint stuff wasn't.

As to the grandmother comment. I make the little houses and other stuff because I would have made them for a grandchild (with a grandchild). I do give of myself. But, in some selfish little spot in my DNA, I was hoping to see my eyes, my grandmother's hands (I have them), my son's sweet face and wild curly hair and Sam's nose. I was just feeling it this morning. Momentary madness. I'd feel the same if Riley made puppies.

I think I will take a shower, make a cup of tea and read my new Quilting Arts until G comes home from work. Then I'll begin our dinner. Three days at home with Riley. Back to work on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Open House weekend.

2 comments:

Diane N said...

It's neither selfish nor momentary madness. It's perfectly understandable and all of us who have no grandchildren of our own feel it sometimes, too.

My comment earlier was not meant to imply that you do not give of yourself. I just think that sometimes you don't give yourself enough credit for the things you do give and have to give.

Deborah Boschert said...

Such excellent solutions! All is right with the world. I love the collage and love that you are doing it your way. Perfect.