Thursday, March 18, 2010

Six Things

I finished hand stitching the December, 2009 Twelve by Twelve challenge yesterday. Twelve. It isn't quilted or bound and it could use some tinkering but at least the concept I had for it is there. I sharpened the image in iPhoto here and warmed up the saturation in the second photo.

I'm liking it a whole lot more in the warmer color combo. Now, how do I make that happen in "real life"? I am also considering painting a darker, warm wash over the background fabrics to make the twelve circles pop a bit more. Or I could stamp dark circles around the appliqued circles. I think I have a stamp.

But that was yesterday and today is today. Here's what we did today.
One :: G and I had breakfast at the Freeport Cafe and our server noticed my tan. Asked if I had been to Florida. So I am getting darker. Had giant blueberry pancakes and two eggs.

Two :: Finally changed the time on the Fit clock. And made an appointment to get the oil changed next week. Almost 5000 miles.

Three :: Visited a local quilt store. The clerk was busy chatting, endlessly and non-productively, with one customer while everyone else milled about. So, I helped a woman select a fabric. And bought three more half yards for my French quilt. If I use everything I have purchased for this "wallhanging" it will be king sized. Duh!

Four :: Raked dead leaves and junk out of two beds in the back so I can notice any new things coming up. I have daffodils, crocus and ajuga. I plan on killing the ajuga. Also, picked up Riley's chewed sticks and plastic bucket chunks.

Five :: Sprayed lime sulphur oil on the budded fruit trees and roses (G did this). Finally. We always think we will and miss the "still closed" bud opportunity.

Six :: Purchased new gas cans at the hardware store and filled them up at the gas station after filling up the Fit (G again). G also gave a woman in a Volvo the finger when she refused to back up so he could leave the pump area.

And that's our day so far. G & Riley have gone for a walk on the Town Commons and I am here with you, blogging. I have a blister from raking without gloves.

Found a wonderful cookbook at the library yesterday, Love Soup by Anna Thomas. She also wrote The Vegetarian Epicure which I am going to request. I may buy this one. I also found the Missing Manual for Snow Leopard the operating system for my new computer. I can use the scanner G bought years ago (and misplaced the manual) because this system overrides any manual. Isn't that cool? And it explains how to use Photo Booth. G discovered how to check if the batteries in the keyboard and mouse are still good. And we've only read it one day. I can't give this a number because it happened yesterday.

We are having record high temperatures and dryness here in Maine for the month of March. 62 degrees today. Short sleeves. No coat or jacket. Flies. No stinky spring mud. Next week it will be in the 40's and that's more normal for March. The furnace hasn't gone on for days. I am loving El Nino.

G and I have decided to rent a dumpster and clean up around here. And hire a company with a dump truck to carry away all the shed lumber G has collected in piles in the yard. He was going to build something years ago. Now it's all crumbly and rotten. I think it was from a torn down old barn. G has his eye on an already built shed ($$$) but we need to clear a space for this new shed to sit. (cut down trees) The shed would have double doors so the snowblower could go inside. And the wagon. And the lawn mower. And any number of things in the garage. He's going to find out what it costs. G is trying to spend my inheritance on things he wants. I also need to spend some of it on the remainder of the roofing. The only thing I got, so far, for myself, is 6 pairs of Smart Wool socks and this new computer.

I feel dizzy.

3 comments:

dee said...

Holy Crap, I'm dizzy from reading.
This Twelve piece is really great. Love the circles and the background looks like straw making them look like little round jewels.

You've managed more in one day than I think I've dona all week. The time change has really kicked my butt. I think I need a B-12 injection.

Terry Grant said...

Wow. Wow. I love the 12 piece. You have fed my hunger for pattern and color. I just love your work.

mathea said...

Your Twelve piece is great! The mix of large and small circles within the square makes for a very interesting piece.
With that background fabric it gave me the idea that I was looking into a packing crate with some exquisite oriental china pieces peeping out from beneath the packing straw.