Monday, October 16, 2023

Field Notes- Monday October 16th. Chilly Weather.


 Some Art- but I can't find a note on the artist.  Gotten from Little Something and she always has the names. Go there and scroll down till you find the name.  So many artists are using a bound notebook to paint in...I like the idea of it...like a daily painting or scribble.  Not on the calendar under the keyboard (how I do it).

Nurse visit today..our first.  Meds coming by mail on the slow boat.....things he might need. To mellow out. As they say???? How would I know????  Nursing Aide was also here to bathe and change his clothes- five days a week.... I was told to take my shower and do stuff like that while she or he is here... Me stuff. 45 minutes of Me Stuff.  Use it or loose it.  I have had a great shower. I could also run out to Library or Grocery if  I was driving........if the car was in working order.

New things which are not Depends. Easier to put on. And take off. Coming in mail or Fedex. Finally Fedex stopping at my house....wow.

I took my shower before they arrived----I'll do better next time.  I do need socks my feet are so cold.

My Shopping List has gone out into the World with daughter..and my credit card.... I hope I get half of what I wrote down.  Ice cream...Yasso Bars......the vanilla ones.  I didn't ask for the Big Fat Bakery Brownies at Hannaford...I do LOVE them....but they seem unimportant right now.

He slept all night and I slept all night...best night ever...and it's two in a row....Life is Good. I do, no idea why, still get up at 3 am.... and since I am up and he is asleep I walk down the hall and use  the bathroom. And then go back to sleep.  he is asleep right now so I should be doing something productive.....like a load of wash.  But I am typing this...for you.At some point the 3 am will drop like the penny and we will all know why.

The RN was also here...we checked meds....we went over things...we are waiting for the morphine.  Which will mellow him out... DNR is taped to wall. I selected a funeral home. Cremation. And perhaps a small service as he did own two restaurants for years right here in Town and mentored quite a few young people during those years. They might want to be able to pay respects.

Which reminds me- I need a good photo of him for the obituary.  These are the thoughts running thru my head.  Hospice can last a few weeks or a few years- Jimmy Carter as an example. I will ask daughter to get a nice picture....She will jolly him into it.

He's fallen asleep....this is when I am supposed to do me stuff. It's been so long since I have ...I can't imagine what I would do....but first thing coming to mind- is find some socks as my bare feet are very very cold.  And I am wondering if I have flannel sheets somewhere in the house....that would be nice. For him.

So the Me Thing will be socks for me and a sweater not a cotton shirt and then flannel sheets...somewhere in the house.  My one year working Winter at LLBean- I bought TONS of stuff for little money at the employee store....Returned items they didn't want to reshelve. Sweaters, boots, coats, bedding dog beds.... lots of corduroy pants and so many linen short sleeved Camp Shirts...not the ones with darts...the square boxy ones...which I adore as I am square and boxy.



2 comments:

DianeN said...

I am thinking of you as you deal with all these difficult and sad decisions.

Joanne S said...

You know, having ALL OF YOU right there on the other side of the screen- it's a Lifesaver...
I am going to write a post now to tell all of you just that... Lifesaver.