Tuesday, August 10, 2010


This is the first toy that we have given a name, name. The other toys have descriptive names like Pup A Saurous, Hedgie, Dinomite, Spidey. The Rhino sounded too much like Dino. So, Wally. And, Riley identified the toy with the sound very quickly. Say Wally, and Riley will race off to get the toy. In fact, Wally, is the toy that Riley naps with quite often these days, making Teddy (bear) very sad, indeed. Here's Wally waiting for Riley on the dog bed, and the new towel pattern I bought a few weeks ago.

Yesterday was awful weatherwise but fantastic customerwise. So hot. So humid. Sucking the life out of me. Lunch with a fan blowing on me was restorative. And then it was time to go home. Today is supposed to be hotter and muggier. I am not eager to go to work today.

I have to decide if I want to go out into the vegetable garden and hand water (and get bug bites) or if I want to hook up the rotating sprinkler (not the best way to water the garden as it promotes wet leaves which leads to diseased leaves etc) or if I just want to ignore the whole thing. August means wilting. Everything is wilting. Everything is looking tired. Even me.

We had grilled cheese sandwiches last night with a can of baked beans "doctored" up with brown sugar, ketchup and mustard. And potato salad that I brought home from work. Ed had made 30 pounds of it and hadn't needed all of that for the picnic he attended on Saturday. So I washed out my lunch salad container and took some of the extra salad home. We didn't get sick. This is something we always consider as Ed is 86 or 88 and not the most careful cook around. He also baked some sort of cheese braid. He didn't have extra of that, thank goodness.

I am working an extra day this weekend as a key person has Sunday off and some of the other Sunday people regularly "call out". Which is what happened last Sunday. One person doing the work of three. And that work is answering phone inquiries and helping customers find what they are looking for and telling them how big something will get and otherwise reading the plant tags out loud for them, sometimes three or four times. Time consuming and irritating if they are calling for help on the radio or over the intercom while you are trying to convey info to the person in front of you. So, I get to do this on Sunday. Because, as my boss so thoughtfully put it, "I need a brain to work Sunday". Would that be considered a "performance review"?

I have laundry to finish up and a decision to make on the garden and then I have to get Riley to the vet for the kennel cough shot and then to work for the day. Oh, it would be good to eat breakfast. Pack my lunch. Get going. Tired already.

1 comment:

Diane N said...

You sound the way I feel. The weather sucks and the humidity here is so bad that it feels like someone threw a heavy wet wool blanket on top of me every time I go outside. BLECH! Even the dogs don't want to go out. It lightninged all night long without a single drop of rain. It's like Mother Nature's a big tease but that's all she's doing.

Wally may be the favorite but I feel sorry for Teddy, the cast off. I'm a sucker for the underdog.

Hope your day is or has going/gone well. Is anybody else wishing it were October???