Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Salad Days

I skipped the grocery store yesterday and went out into the garden and picked the rocket and mesclun lettuces that had gone to seed (bolted). I washed and dried it and then dressed it with olive oil, salt/pepper and Balsamic vinegar and served it on top of (or next to) a nice crisp, thin piece of chicken breaded with butter, Parmesan and bread crumbs. It was divine. Bitter. Yes. But the dressing tempered the bitterness.

Work today and the scheduled rain didn't happen. A nice, cloudy day in the high 60's. A good day to be home weeding and gardening. Not a good day to be working. Few customers. Lots of busy work for the few employees still working.

I've had my shower (hot water, finally) and am waiting for my red beans to defrost. I made a delicious pan of cornbread to go along with the beans. I think it might be a complimentary combo that provides complete protein.

I am in a contemplative mood today. A bit feisty. Still wanting to one of the people working full time (wanting to be wanted) but really excited to have tomorrow off. I am a complicated person. "A real piece of work" according to my husband, who should know me best. I want what I can't have. The grass is always greener in someone else's yard. All the things I dreamed of doing if I had money? Now, with a nice bank account, I don't want them anymore. Perhaps, I need therapy.

Riley is busy cleaning the floor--I do make a mess when baking -- and he does such a thorough job. G is washing dishes. Pretty nice. Oh, and my book is waiting at the library. I ordered it last night before going to bed. Excellent service.

1 comment:

Diane N said...

An object in possession seldom retains the same charm that it had in pursuit

pliny the younger