Wednesday, September 29, 2010

September Ends


Yesterday was a transitional day at work.  One season ending and another beginning.  I continue to downsize the perennial yard in anticipation of the outdoor planting season's end.  We drained the water "pond" (actually a lined container, 4 feet by 8 feet) and scooped, by hand, all the soggy, slimey plant life. Another disgusting job.  Will my boss ever lack for disgusting jobs for us?  The 6000#'s of pumpkins had to be hand carried from the delivery truck to the small, medium and large piles out in the parking lot.  And two tables in the greenhouse were reassembled into the "Christmas Room".  This is where the State of Maine wreaths and the cemetery Holiday Boxes will made.  Could the Poinsettias be far behind?  All employees received new fleece hooded company sweatshirt jackets yesterday.

My status as "outsider" was more firmly established as I accidentally overheard plans being made for a Sunday farewell drinks party for my greenhouse co-worker.  Not invited.  And I also overheard plans for a baby shower being discussed for another coworker.  I am old enough to be the mother and/or grandmother to most of the employees.  Not someone they want to "party" with.  And they don't feel bad about excluding me. I don't think they even think about how I might feel being left out. Or it could be that they just don't like me enough to spend time with me off the clock.  I am not too concerned as I don't think I would actually attend either event. But.  Everyone likes to be included.

I got my wish yesterday and Michael Bolton was removed from DWTS.  Survivor tonight.  I am doing laundry, visiting the grocery store, library, walking dog and going out to the veg garden to work in the compost bins and tidy up the cabbage, kale and chard beds.  I hope I have some time to watch Mad men so I can read the NYT's Arts Beat on Mad Men.  I usually do that on Monday afternoon after work.  Oh, I love the comments.That's how far behind I am this week already.  And I haven't watched Rubicon or Fringe.  I found out yesterday that I am the teacher for the Bulb Planting class on Saturday so I have to do prep work for that.  I did set up the class seating so the people won't have the 10am sun in their eyes this week.  I'm not sure my boss was happy about me being the teacher.  Can I make it until December 24th?

Crock pot is full of BBQ'ed pulled pork.  I have to make jelly today.  I need to pick over the peaches and remove any that are spoiling.  I plan to eat them with yogurt for lunches Thursday to Saturday as a farewell to summer.  I also plan to make a Ratatouille today with all the veg on the counter plus a can of artichoke hearts.  Too busy for a day off and I didn't sleep well.  Dreamt of an unhappy marriage, not mine, but still, it left bad feelings in my head.  I wonder where that dream came from?

1 comment:

Diane N said...

It sucks when people exclude you deliberately from things, whether intentionally or just through thoughtlessness. I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. It doesn't matter whether you would or wouldn't have gone. It's just wrong to exclude someone when everyone else is being included.

Believe me, if I ever have a party, you and Riley (and even your husband) are definitely invited! I'll even provide the Milk Bones for Riley!