Friday, September 24, 2010

Contemplating The Weather


Riley is not pleased with our recent rain.  I am.  The roses and vegetable garden needed a good soaking and I think that is what we got last night.  I wish I had left the orchids outdoors for one more night, but I didn't.  G, Riley and I drove out last night for "fast food" of the glorious grilled and fried variety.  I was in my pajamas.  We noticed a number of walk in customers in various "pajama" like attire.  I choose to remain in the car with Riley while G went in to order.  We ate in the car.  The burger (not McD's) was wonderfully tasty and fresh.  The French Fries were too hot to eat at first.  We couldn't get anything caffeine free to drink but Sprite (full of sugar).  Riley had his head out the window, smelling people as they passed by the car.  He leaves us completely alone as we eat.  Our food is part of the "this has nothing to do with you" mantra.  A mantra that includes; small yapping dogs, joggers, people walking other large dogs, small screechy children, the kitchen garbage can, our food, outdoor cats, clothespins, and the gallon of fish emulsion I use to fertilize my plants.  The mantra works on everything but clothespins (can chew them into toothpicks in seconds) and the fish emulsion (loves to lick the bottle).

Last night we watched House.  Not their best effort. Thirteen should have just said "I'm making a movie".  Hawaii Five-O.  G doesn't want to watch it again but I thought it had some merit as a fill in option when there is nothing else to watch.  I recorded Fringe for later viewing because G doesn't like it.  Mentalist is also recorded.  We will probably watch all the recorded stuff tonight as Friday doesn't have much to offer on television.  I have started watching only the final 30 minutes of Project Runway.  Finally, Ivy the self grandizing loser was deleted.  If only Gretchen could be gone also.  If you watch Gretchen as she "talks" (aka bitches) you will see what a fabulous puppet she would make.

My newest issue of Everyday Food arrived yesterday and has a Ratatouille which I happen to have all the ingredients for here in the house or garden.  The eggplant I bought on Wednesday is exactly one pound, I have zucchini and peppers, onions and canned tomatoes.  And the the stuff can be frozen to eat at some future day and time.  G won't eat it.  And there were recipes for the beets I bought at Whole Foods last week.  I just like them roasted and eaten cold out of the storage container.

I don't want to go to work anymore.  There are so many more interesting and worthwhile ways for me to spend the hours I spend at work; being bored, doing nothing.  If I was busy at work, then I might not feel this way, but way too often, I have nothing which I would call "constructive work" to do.  Call me crazy, but I like to have work to do at work.  Standing around, looking out the greenhouse doors, wandering around looking for a dead leaf or spent bloom to pick up, reading the paper are not the pursuits that I enjoy for hours at a time.  "A" has given her two week notice.  We have job applications available.  I had hoped to stay until I got laid off in December.  Then my eleven weeks of unemployment.  This may still be possible.....  it just gets more difficult each day to actually get in the car and GO.  Which is what I have to try and do in one hour.  And I have to stay until six.  We never have any customers from 4 to 5:45 (then a burst of activity for 15 to 20 minutes).  Those two hours are endless.  I sometimes read gardening books while seated on a pile of fertilizer bags.  Rather than join in the endless "chat" of the younger crowd.  OMG.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Our jobs are similar, in that it is boring. There are weeks at a time when nobody walks into the gallery/studio but us worker bees. I take my knitting to work and when the boss commanders my desk so he can surf I sit right across from him on the 'customer' sofa and knit. What a job, huh?

Joanne S said...

Ah, Paula! If I could do hand sewing at work without getting damp, dirty or attracting flies, I would love that.

K had a job where she could spend hours reading the news on the computer but wasn't allowed to read an actual paper or book.