Tuesday, January 28, 2014

The Oven Will Be In Use Most Of Today


1.  Baked Squash.  The sun is shining and it "seems" warmer but it isn't.  I have already baked the butternut/kabocho squash.  It has a dry flaky texture.  I like it. Even eating it warmed up with butter and cinnamon for a hot breakfast.

2.  Baked Tofu.  My walking partner shared her tofu cooking method.  She eats this nearly every day.  Sliced extra firm tofu.  On a rack.  In the oven.  Baked until dry and chewy but not blackened.  No pressing until dry. No marinade.  Turn it over at any point if that's what you want to do.  She eats it any manner that one would eat "chicken" though I am not sure she ever has.  She mentioned in a sandwich with lettuce and mustard.  My walking friend is not all that interested in cooking.  So roasting tofu with a pan of chopped up root vegetables is more than enough cooking for one week for her.  Not me.

 Intermission:  I moved my bathroom scale around the bathroom and discovered I could weight a good number of differing amounts.  The difference being 3 to 4 pounds depending on where the scale was placed. I have time to find these things out while the oven is doing it's thing.

3.   Pot Roast.  I have two nice chunks that I got on sale.  They need to be "used or frozen" today.  I don't have any room in the freezer, as it is full of bags of frozen fruit from the garden this summer.  Peaches, raspberries, blackberries and blueberries.  So--it's pot roast today. Browned.  Sprinkled with Lipton Onion Soup Mix.  Cooked until falling apart.  Served with mashed potatoes.  Gravy. Cole Slaw.  I'll pretend it's my birthday.

4.   Kale/Onion/Cheese Frittata.  I intend to use the very lovely kale I bought yesterday to make a large oven frittata.  Then I can cut it into wedges and eat it for breakfast or lunch with a salad.  I tried eating frittata without kale and I just don't like it.  Usually, I make this on the stovetop and do a terrible job of turning it to brown the uncooked side.  I think the oven method will be better.  I could even try using the broiler.  20 years and it's never been used.  Excitement.

5.   Half Baked Idea.  While the oven is baking/roasting things:  I am going "off road" with the Easy Project That Has Become The Difficult Project.  I am going to make a circle.  No more boring straight lines.

Finale:  I purchased two small squares of carrot cake for G yesterday.  With cream cheese frosting and a very fat frosting carrot on top of each cake square.  The amazing thing--I didn't drop, roll or kick the little cakes and squish the fat little frosting carrots--like I always do.  G is very pleased.




2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I move my scale to one spot and then weigh myself 3 times. Why? Because I get three different weights. I then average it out. Close enough for me.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

So many good cooking things going on at your house. Maybe I should at least roast the butternut squash that's been hanging around forever.