Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Sunshine

The sun is shining outside. The sun is shining inside as the clivia opens it's orange blossoms. And the sun is shining in my heart today. I did the divorce/child exchange with my friend again this morning and we had breakfast together afterwards. We both ordered the same breakfast again. This time two eggs and two pancakes. No breakfast meat. I am so happy to be able to help and support my friend through this very stressful and trying time. And I am happy that I can provide some laughter and listening. We all need that.

The mail brought my acceptance into the ranks of the unemployed. And a letter asking me to apply for a Pell Grant to further my education and employment possibilities. The letter went on to say that my unemployment benefits might not continue while I was being educated. So, what they are saying is: apply for a grant, go to school, but forsake the means to eat and pay rent. What a great government we have here in America. Always thinking.

I spent yesterday evening reading my Wallander book and not watching any of the Haiti relief. We have learned nothing about helping people in a disaster since Katrina. Nothing. At 10.30 the dog got up from his nap and "strongly" suggested we go to bed. So we did. I have no idea when the dog became the "decider" in this household, but it seems like he has the job. And likes it.

After returning from breakfast this morning, I added a few warm layers and took Riley out for his walk. It's cold out there but the sun was strong today. It would have been a good morning to sunbathe out on the deck. But we were walking from 12.15 to 1.38 and by then the sun is weak. Timing is everything when you try for a winter tan.

I want to have a Greek Salad for dinner tonight with olives, green pepper and Feta. G finished all the leftovers last night so I don't know what he will have. Pasta would be easy. I'm going to crock pot some pork tomorrow night for pulled pork. I like that on top of a mixed green salad or over penne. We could have pizza tomorrow or nachos. I'd have to go out and buy stuff for pizza but I have everything for nachos or even Mexican casserole. We'll see. The freezer is really empty. Could be very close to buying that new fridge. Excitement. (?)

While G is walking the dog tomorrow, I'm going to be replacing the needle in the sewing machine (I break them all the time because I am too impatient and rough) and doing more work on my 12 by 12 pieces. Now that I am using felt instead of batting the machine stitching is looking much nicer. And when things look nicer, I am more motivated to work. The studio is also looking nicer. Not clean, but I can walk in and not have to climb over things. I still have to find a place for my newly purchased (the past 12 months) art supplies. Printing inks, brayers, tubes of paint, stretched canvas, gelatin for monoprinting etc. And I need to put my watercolors and rolls of brushes away. I may use one of the wire rolling carts I have upstairs. One tray for each kind of art supply. I also have fabric paints, dye paints and dye powder. But It's hard to actually use anything when the room is such a cluttered mess. Small steps.

Almost 4 pm. And it's not dark outside. This is a good thing. Spring is getting closer and the sun is getting stronger. It's still too warm in Vancouver to make snow. Will they have to cancel the Olympics? At least all the outdoor parts? Has this ever happened before?

1 comment:

gema said...

Well maybe you'd be able to eat and pay rent from that Grant!!! You'll never know until you ask.....nay, just joking.
I think you gave Riley that job of deciding when bedtime should be in your house. Too funny.It is sooooo cold here, well -7/-8°C is coooooold with a wind factoring in so it feels like -15°C. BRRRRRRRRR. The half melted snow is now frozen everywhere so the side roads have layers of ice over them. Oh what fun! I like it though,it makes me feel like I am really struggling to survive in a harsh environment...like being alive!!!LOL...