Monday, February 20, 2012

Repurposing

I have pulled this blue and white striped knit out of the Going to Goodwill bag many, many times over the past five years.  It's a very wide 2X with a boat neckline.  Meaning the neckline is the width of my shoulders.  Not a good look.  I pinned the center of the front and back to see how it would look with seams  that narrowed the body of the tee.  It looked okay.  If, in fact, I could manage to sew the knit seam and keep the stripes even.  I don't know how to sew knits.

Then I thought about the fabric itself being a nice scarf.  I had wanted a lovely jersey scarf in grey and gold this winter but never quite was shopping when the stores had such things.  I did manage to find a knit turtle neck tee in the right colors and stripes.  I wanted to make it into a scarf.

So here I am wanting to make two different tees into scarves.  I need advice and how to.  Like how to cut and how wide to cut and how to add seams.  Anyone reading this--feel free to add your two cents.

I have a sewing machine good enough to have a knit stitch on it.  But I think I am supposed to have a special needle.  Or forget about all that for a scarf?  I await your instructions.

3 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

Jersey will roll up onto itself when cut and it really doesn't need to be hemmed. If you are going to piece 2 sections together to make it longer I would recommend just laying the end of one piece over the end of the other and doing one line of stitching. That is the beauty of knits like this: they do not ravel. Good luck.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Check out tommythematerialgirl.blogspot.com
January 17 post. I keep meaning to try this out.

Paula, the quilter said...

Ooo... look at this one: http://www.etsy.com/listing/90715893/fucshia-hot-pink-infinity-scarf-with
It doesn't look like it is sewn at all!