Wednesday, February 15, 2012

It's Wednesday

And the furnace person is scheduled to arrive in an hour or three to clean and check my furnace (actually a boiler) which means I won't have heat while they are here.  And I need to move my car out of the garage. No sunshine today and clouds, snow or rain tomorrow.  Depending on how the north winds blow.

Everyone in Maine is hoping it snows.  We are one of the states that hasn't had "winter".  Very little (natural) snow on the ski slopes and the snow mobiles have been unused this season.  I'm told.  Neither of these activities has ever interested me.  It is certainly cold enough to make snow.  And flood an enclosed area for ice skating.  Or go out on the river to ice fish.  But why would you?  Why would I?  We had a great deal more snow last winter but the temps last February, around this time, were 10 degrees warmer than yesterday was.  So, Maine is warming.  We may actually have spring again this year. Wow.

I am seriously thinking about getting some seeds started.  Some kale, onions, cabbage.  The local Land Trust is offering organic garden plots (for a fee) to anyone interested.  They provide organic compost, water and a tool shed.  This sounds like a fantastic idea.  I remember when I planted the first garden in my "virgin" soil.  Everything was so rambunctious and healthy.  Now, not so much.  I add compost all the time but it must not be enough.  I'd like to experience rambunctious vegetables again.

My grocery had containers of strawberries on special yesterday when I went shopping.  They looked nice and red. They almost tasted like strawberries but not juicy.  I had about 6 of the largest, reddest ones last night, after dinner, for my dessert.  I ate them in the kitchen, standing by the sink, after washing all the pots and pans.  I had planned to slice them and eat them with whipped cream, but lost interest.

G enjoyed his old fashioned spaghetti dinner with garlic bread for his Valentine Dinner.  He had coffee and a few of the candy coated pretzels he got for Christmas.  I found a handmade valentine in the mailbox after walking Riley.  Made by the 4 year old grandson of my walking buddy from years ago.  Glitter, magic marker and stickers.  So very sweet.  Thanking us for the McDonald's truck we gave him.  I removed the Christmas cards from the string over the wood stove and clipped the Valentine there.

Which reminds me--- I HAVE to start work on the Easter Bunny House.  I have to find a fake grass placemat or something for the "yard" around the EBH.  Not Easter Basket Grass.

No comments: