Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Another Placemat

I had a pile of orange fabrics on the work table (and on the floor) so I quickly covered a 14 by 18 piece of felt to make a fourth placemat for everyday usage.  Might as well get four zigzag stitched while I have the walking foot in place on the machine.  The next part, adding binding, is not my favorite activity.  I like the hand stitching finish work but not the making of the binding or quarter inch miter corners.  I have considered the "facing" style which I think was discovered as a way NOT to do the other binding but I don't like the look of it on the backside.  Too much fabric.

Yesterday turned out to be a very good day even though I came into it kicking and fussing a great deal. That's the way it is around here.  I can be quite crabby.  It seems that is my natural fall back position. A regular Lucy from Peanuts.  It didn't help that I kept thinking I was supposed to "do" something or "look up" something and that bit of nagging worry about what it was that I had not done, bothered me.

The books from the library turned out to be for me.  WooHoo!  I must have been on top of things when I reserved books last time. I have the fourth and most current Asa Larsson mystery on order.  Thank you, yet again, to the Reader who recommended I read them.  I plan to note the reader's name on my calendar next time so I can properly thank you.  I have gotten two greatly enjoyed "new" authors from Readers and I am very grateful.

Today is cloudy and colder but not terrible.  A high of 30.  The dog walk will be good.  I find I prefer cold weather as I can add clothing to stay warm.  Hot weather is just not nice if you are active.  Yesterday, on the walk, Riley pulled the leash sharply while it was stretched across my shin.  I now have a painful bruise and bump.  And I didn't drink enough water yesterday, so for the first time since getting back from vacation, my ring is very tight on my finger.  I am going to have to force myself to drink water today.

I roasted a spaghetti squash yesterday (half the time while the oven heated up for G's pizza) and I used the new method of just poking holes all over the whole squash.  While the pizza was baking, I easily cut the half baked big squash in half.  I always have such a trial cutting hard rind squashes in half.  Afraid I will cut my hand or arm off in the process.  This worked out well. the squash halves went back into the oven after the pizza was baked.  Now I have baked spaghetti squash to make into mac and cheese.

The mail person should be delivering my "little black dress" to the house today.  It's just a plain black dress that I can wear to something formal or a funeral.  This will be a first for me.  Actually having something in the closet "just in case".  I want to see how the dress looks with my after Christmas purchased J Jill black sweater.  I haven't had an opportunity to wear my pencil skirt and tights yet, either.  Sigh!  I am not going to worry about how I will look in my skirt and tights.  I followed a 50ish woman into the "other" local grocery last week.  She had heavy legs encased in black tights and a flirty little skirt halfway up her thighs. If she feels good about it--then I can also, in a skirt that ends mid knee. I am always interested in the fact that the two local town groceries have such different people shopping in each.  The grocery I frequent is more earthy, Pilates, vegan soccer moms.  We shop around the perimeter.  The other is full of women in tights and short skirts and all the mysteries of premade, prepackaged and "fun" food with very little perimeter food visible.  I was there to purchase Chili O seasoning packages.  My grocery doesn't stock such things.  I also buy G a carrot snack cake whenever I shop there.  Covered in sweet cream cheese frosting with a big frosting carrot on top.  G LOVES them.  In fact, G would be very comfortable in that grocery store.

I would think if I started eating those carrot snack cakes (G divides the one snack into 2 servings) my tights would be pulled tight over heavy thighs and my pencil skirt would be------ on someone else

1 comment:

gema said...

Enjoyed this Post immensely...very funny.

Today I am wearing a pair of Landsend silk longjohns. It did not keep me warm in our -15°C weather. I know my silk longjohns from LLbean would have been warmer. I think the LLbean underpants are patterned and maybe they trap and warm the air better. These are silk jerseys.

I'll stick to LLbean.