Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Be My Valentine

One of my salvaged orchids is putting on quite a show this winter.  Big, gorgeous blossoms.  Perfect for today's holiday.  I know I'm supposed to "want" dozens of red roses (advertising hype), but they have no fragrance.  And a rose without scent is a complete waste.  I'll wait for my roses to bloom in June, full of wonderful scent, blown centers, petals showering the table top.  Decadence.

Yesterday's dental appointment was LONG.  Seems the Crest Pro Health rinse that is doing wonderful, healthy things for my gums and tartar has done something terrible to my teeth.  The backs of my front teeth (up and down) were covered in a rough textured stain.  Which had to be scraped, sonically scraped, scraped some more and then more.  My teeth now feel smooth when I rub my tongue over the backs.  But how will I keep my gums healthy now that I can no longer use the Pro Health products?  The Pro Health chemically mixes with my salvia and creates the gritty stain.  I am not alone.  Since the practice has been recommending the products, there have been more and more gritty stained teeth to clean.  The good news, I had hardly any tartar.

My Winter Furlough may be ending sooner than I had anticipated.  Perhaps as early as the first week of March.  I always think I have SO MUCH TIME to get projects done here at home and then, poof, the time is closing down and I have gotten nothing done.  I've had lunch a few times, gone to see one movie (missed the rest that I wanted to see), been on vacation,  worked on some housekeeping tasks, walked the dog and read a few books.  Not much.  I do feel rested and refreshed.  That counts for something.

Watched the pilot for SMASH and thought I would enjoy it.  Episode Two was like a heavy, dull rock thudding to earth.  So bad.  NBC seems to have a death wish.  They promote SMASH and cancel Prime Suspect.  I wish one of the cable networks would pick up Prime Suspect and run with it.  Rub it in NBC's face.  Survivor starts up again this week.  And BBCAmerica has repeats of  The Hour on Wednesday's at 10 pm.  With Tudor episodes at nine.  Sounds like Wednesday will be fun.

G and I will NOT be going out for dinner tonight.  Service on Valentine's Day is terrible.  And we have been served terrible, sloppy food on February 14th, also.  I may have to stop into the grocery and buy supplies for G's dinner.  Last night I made him fried potatoes and onions to go along with some chicken.  He was happy.  It wasn't another panini sandwich and chips.  Some chicken baked in cream sauce would be nice with wild rice.  G will eat chicken every day of the week.  So will my daughter.  Not me.  Or I could make lamb chops.

Riley is snoring.  Since his 9 days at Sleepover Camp, he has been sleeping more hours than usual.  He is also coming up on his fifth birthday on April 4th.  I know nothing about dogs but do they slow down this early?  I know older, large (8 to 12 years) dogs spend 20 hours or so a day "resting" or at least it seems that way.  Rusty would watch the world go by from his dog bed.  Getting up on four legs was hard work for him (he had the bad hips Lab's sometimes get).  But he was awake and good company.  By the time he came to live with us, his days of being walked (farther than the path where he did his business) were long over.  He was 12.  Almost made it to 14 while with us.

One of my February lunch dates has a black cardigan sweater in her closet, with shiny black buttons, which might be excellent with my little black dress.  For funerals and dinner dates.  I often trade clothing with my friends.  I was quite happy to hear she had a sweater she didn't need any longer.  Glad I had mentioned I was looking for one.  I took two of my treasured German outfits to the library to give to a coworker (former) and she sighed and said "I love this color green".  The skirt will look wonderful on her. The two piece smocked and embroidered "dress" will be amazing.  A European 38.  I wore the outfit in Las Vegas to see Seigfried and Roy and then the second time at my first luncheon as President of the Woman's Club of the Taunus in Germany.  Two very special days in my life.  LOL.  I am amazed that this tiny little outfit ever fit my body.  But it did and I have pictures.  It wasn't even tight.  Ooo La La.

No comments: