Saturday, April 06, 2024

Winter Storm Notes from Fricking Maine- 42 degrees and SNOW covered everything.


 Postcard from Provence 

Hello. working with internet and extension cords....Also a different network.  Computer Engineer finally got fed up.....got creative....we are both typing away.

So.......Nothing is working here...we have the gas generator on the driveway running hot water, some lights, the fridge and microwave.  Basics of Civilization.  Phone Landlines are out so emergency stuff is a no go. Like if your house was on fire or someone needed an ambulance.  I haven't had internet until like 5 minutes ago- via the extension cords.....and haven't been able to do anything but text the neighbors....

And because shit likes to happen all at the same time......the replacement frames on my eyeglasses cracked and my left lens fell into my plate of Chinese Take Out...last night.  I am wearing a pair of glasses with lenses from about 10 years ago- I wore them for like a week back then and threw up...way off... changed eye doctors and got new script.  But this morning- perfection.  So...like a Time Warp- the BAD prescription is now totally (almost) great. My eyes have really taken a turn.  Keyboard looks fantastic.

I woke up that first morning to absolute WHITE outside....then it rained a bit.  Then the WORST thing that could happen - happened....WIND......across the street neighbor watched a tall fat pine tree just fall over- away from her house thank goodness....but it's down and the root ball is out of the ground...and it's not the only one.  My Tree Guy is now coming to see what he can do.....for her.  House goes up for sale in a few weeks....awful timing.

Our Plow Guy plowed our street....not his job and the Town Plow never showed up... and it's Saturday.  Mail is being delivered....Newspapers have arrived.......Town has power.... all the fast food places have power, daughter in Town has power......not my street. And most horribly- our street in not on the list..... which is very very worrying.

So ......we are fine...a bit chilled.  Son has his laptop going and ear buds..possibly watching a movie. He feels like the tv will work- I have recorded things I can watch.......I have a good book going ..Expiration Date by Rebecca Serle.  I enjoyed her Italian Summer and In Five Years..... Enchanted  August was very good as well.    so, reading, staying warm. WAITING.  

But I am fine.....Son is fine.....no trees have landed on the house....or us.  And I have Chinese leftovers for supper.....sigh.



2 comments:

beverly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Life Scraps and Patches said...

It was so good to see that you were back.