Tuesday, August 23, 2016

More Zoodles & Smoothies


I love the chewy texture of these Zoodles if I allow them to dry for at least 24 hours after cutting and before eating.  The ones I spiral cut today will be eaten tomorrow.

Today I am drinking Smoothies.  The one I just finished was pineapple, strawberry, frozen banana, kale and 4 ounces of Noosa vanilla yogurt (not Greek).  I roasted some beets from the garden and will be tossing a cooked beet into the next Smoothie.  Possibly pineapple, beet, frozen cherries and kale.

I also pulled some carrots.  They are growing long.  Impressive.  As I hadn't thought the soil was loose enough to grow long carrots.  But.....some of the nicest carrots have been nibbled (underground) by chipmunks.   I don't want to start trapping the rodents.  What to do with them after they are in the trap?  We trap them at work.  Then an employee takes them for a ride in the car and lets them out.  We have discussed marking them some way so we can see if they find their way back.  When we had a cat at work----well, the only chipmunks we ever saw were the dead ones.

So, the counters are filled with ripe tomatoes, a few zucchini, quite a few cucumbers (I found a cucumber/blueberry smoothie recipe) and the now ripe avocados are in the fridge where they stay perfect for 5 to 7 days.  I like an avocado in a green smoothie to give it a creamy texture.

Look at me--discussing the merits of Smoothies.  Who is this person????

The eye itch and rash (eczema ?) is still bothering me.  It really bothers me right after I wake up, but before my allergy pills take effect.  Then bothers me again after 9 pm.  I also have a bumpy rash around my neck.  All this reminds me of my youngest brother.  His eczema was so bad that the skin around his neck and in the crease of his arms and back of knees was raw.  Of course my mother let him eat anything he wanted.  How odd that I am just now developing it?

If there is any good news (other than the carrots), it's that overnight I lost 3.5 pounds.  Inflammation and reaction to allergens.  Peaches were new to the diet.  Supposedly safe.

I made another batch of rice flour banana muffins.   This recipe uses coconut oil, coconut sugar, no eggs.  I don't know what I would do without them.  If any readers out there need a recipe for a baked good for someone who can't have eggs, wheat, dairy or cane sugar--- let me know and I will send it to you.

I had started watching Thirteen (BBC) on Xfinity (comcast) and it seems like midway thru my watching Amazon bought the rights.  So......I watched three out of five episodes and now have no idea how the damned thing ends.

No comments: