Thursday, February 27, 2014

Seed Starting - Almost!


The seed packets reminded me of the reason for the Aleve in the picture. All that hard work.  The digging, the spraying, the weeding.  Can't wait!!!!!!

At this point in time---the only seeds you should be thinking about starting are onions, leeks, peppers (if you have room for them to grow in the house under lights for the next few months-- the peppers, that is)  You can also start pea seedlings, spinach and cabbage in the next few weeks.  Put them outside in the garden (sans snow) around St Patrick's day or a few weeks later.  It all depends.  And this mean, mean Winter isn't making life easy.

I like to tell the students in my classes to sprinkle flower seeds on the melting snow mid March.  Especially poppies.  Just remember to mark the spots where you sprinkled so you don't pull up the baby flowers in a fit of aggressive spring weeding in April and May.  I usually sprinkle flower seeds around the spring bulbs that are coming up in March.

You can also sprinkle the seeds for most annual flowers and herbs in the garden as the soil is warming up.  Calendula, borage, parsley, dill, fennel, four o'clocks --- I tip packets of seeds all over in the herb bed and, if G doesn't weed them out, I get a great "crop" of herbs and flowers.  This is a good use of seed packets you might have leftover.  Out of date, etc.  If they don't sprout--they turn into compost.  It's all good.

I'm going to be showing you a space saving vertical gardening idea in the next few weeks--I need to get the "parts" and then do a tutorial.  I saw it in the training session we had for work.  Can't wait to put one together for myself and a few friends.  My daughter is going to LOVE it.

I have another class to organize for this weekend.  So, I'm off to do research, write down ideas and perhaps even make some displays.   Seed Starting.   LOL

2 comments:

Diane said...

I am anxious to see your tutorial!!
I always love all the of the pictures that you post on your blog as well!!

MariMo said...

Really look forward to actually seeing your vertical gardening idea! Have a great weekend.