Friday, February 22, 2013

Blank Slate


This image is from the blog of Cathy Cullis.  She is making a "blank slate" house to use for her next zine.  The idea of this is very intriguing.  I like that she is using pages from books or newspaper to cover the cardboard structure.  And building construction details like the fireplace.  Making a "house" like this always makes me happy.  Even looking at the bare bones of this little house makes me smile.

Today is very sunny.  The big storm is coming.  So says the weather guys.  G has mailed the box I packed up for our son in sunny California and purchased muscle car stamps for bill paying.  I think he and Riley are out for a walk right now.

Yesterday I went up into the unheated attic space and pulled the two large shopping bags of wool crewel yarn out and brought them down to sort.  I was once upon a time the "go to" person for elderly crafts people who were getting to the point where they couldn't do their craft any longer.  But they wanted their craft supplies to be valued and used by like minded crafters or artistic people.

This is a sad but very important role for someone in the community to take up.  I recommend it to any of you reading.  You do have to honor the work the artist/craftsperson has done and then carefully promise to do your best to get the remaining materials into safe hands.  I have emptied quilt rooms, crewel embroidery studios and even a garden.  I don't get calls now--but then I am far away from the quilt/craft world now.

The crewel wools are so beautiful.  I went up to the attic to see if I had an sock weight wool so I could attempt to darn the heels of the cashmere socks I inherited from G.  His shoes rubbed the surface of the heels down to the structure threads.  I watched videos and know how to proceed if and when I find out what the "duplicate" stitch is.  I read the directions but it looks like a cross stitch in the pictures and looks like knitting in the final product.  So, I am confused.  I did find a few skeins of a very thin wool that might work.  Not the right color, but I don't care if the mending shows.  Wabi Sabi.

I sorted the bags and now have one full shopping bag to donate to the local handicapped art project Spindelworks.  They are always so grateful.  I also have a large box filled with rug hooking yarn and supplies.  I need help carrying it down from the attic.  I'm sure one of the artists there will enjoy rug hooking.  I have dozens of hardwood needlepoint frames also.  I never did find someone who wanted these things.  I don't think wool crewel is popular right now.  And the frames don't interest the few I know who do cross stitch.  Most work without a frame.  I loved crewel stitching.  Perhaps I still do?

Now--it's Chicken Soup.  We finally ate all the pot roast.

1 comment:

Paula, the quilter said...

The duplicate stitch is very similar to an embroidered chain stitch. Why don't you just darn them and not worry about doing the duplicate stitch? I darn my socks like this youtube vid: http://youtu.be/4nY1jTVyBE0

I found it interesting how they called it a darning mushroom instead of an egg. If you don't have one, use an incandescent light bulb.

My darned socks have lasted for many more years.