Thursday, February 21, 2013

Another White Kitchen - Probably The Last One


I'm thinking that it's the ZEN of the space that attracts me to these kitchens.  I can't imagine this space looking wonderful with the debris of actual cooking.  I made a New York Style cheesecake the other day and I had mess from one end of the center island into and around the sink plus next to the stove where the stand mixer lives.  All I can see myself doing here, in this space, is making a cup of coffee. Perhaps a bowl of cold cereal.  Friends of mine have a kitchen like this.  They eat out.

Another storm on the way.  We had our much anticipated daily outing to the grocery.  Cereal, yogurt, juice, milk, bagels etc for G's daily breakfast.  I got a bag of red grapefruit and some whole milk ricotta. I decided to try having ricotta instead of yogurt.  I like it.  Less carbs.

I think I will be making a large pot of chicken noodle soup for G tomorrow.  If the snow does come, it will be nice to have a hot bowl of soup after snow blowing.  Mainers (old timers) were buying hot dogs and canned baked beans for Saturday Night Dinner.  A New England tradition with steamed brown bread.  I think it was a "made do" meal when the budget was getting thin before pay day.  A big pot of homemade (soaked and then baked) beans was very budget friendly and quite filling when you had a few hungry children to feed.  The hot dogs are possibly a modern addition.

I don't have any work to do--no new classes to write.  I have only one bill to pay.  I started a good book last night before switching to Netflix bingeing for the rest of the evening.  I think we watched 4 or 5 episodes in a row.  Do you have any suggestions of television dramas/police procedurals we might enjoy?  We are watching the 2007/08 series Life right now.  Police procedural.  I have Damages on the list and the PBS British detectives.  I wanted to watch the series on John Adams but we couldn't find it listed so it might have had a different title.  The Tudors might be fun to watch.  I don't think I've seen them all.  We want to watch Prime Suspect from PBS again.  I remember it being very good.  And Inspector Morse. And it would be fun to watch Mad Men from the beginning.  We couldn't find the AMC series Rubicon.  I would have enjoyed seeing that again.  It got cancelled. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I am miffed that the movies I want to see are all DVD and not streaming.


4 comments:

Jan said...

There's a great new series on FX ~ The Americans. About a married couple of Russian spies working in the US during the Reagan administration. It's 4 episodes in but our 'On Demand' menu offers them. Wednesday night @10:00.

I'm still peeved about Prime Suspect being cancelled.

Annie said...

Here are a couple of Netflix shows that feature lady detectives: VERA and BLUE MURDER.

I like those two very much. I wish American tv was half as good as the British do their shows.

I do appreciate Netflix and what they offer.

Gretchen said...

Hi, again. I'm still enjoying your blog. One of my favorite BBC murder mysteries is Midsomer Murders. Last time I checked Netflix all the seasons were listed.

Anonymous said...

Really enjoyed " Intelligence" from Canadian Broadcasting available on Netflix.