Thursday, February 07, 2013

And The Weather Man Says- Blizzard


I am on the fence.  It's extremely cold today. Clear blue skies.  Sunshine.  And a blizzard is predicted for late tomorrow.  Our local liar --oops, weatherman-- says we'll have 24 inches by Saturday morning and 60 mph winds.  Which, here in Maine, means no electricity.

I am seriously sad to think of the added misery to be inflicted on New Jersey tomorrow.

So, I went to the library for books.  And the grocery for food.  Like everyone else here in my small Town.  We have plenty of candles. We have plenty of clean clothes and underwear, but I may just do a load of clothes, in case.  I remember the 6 days without power during the Great Ice Storm.  I remember worrying about clean underpants.  But mostly, I just wanted a hot shower.

G is getting excited about the new generator power box.  He wants to see, exactly, what, besides the furnace, is hooked up to the generator box.  It's a SURPRISE.  If you hear of a house in Maine exploding-- that may be the surprise.  He is hoping the furnace, garage, bathroom lights and refrigerator are powered up by the generator.  Some of the living room outlets are powered by the garage (really, don't you wonder about the original electricians?)  so it's possible we will have television and internet.  It's going to be interesting to see what works and what doesn't. He and the electrician (spellcheck had electron which is funny) installing the box tried to figure out what powered what.

G wanted the garage on the new box so we could open the garage doors.  And the bathroom with the shower so we could see when we showered as there is no window.  Very dark.  The refrigerator because we need that when the power goes off in warm weather.  Winter, I just move everything to to garage steps.  Nice and cold.  If the living room outlets work (or even another one in the kitchen) that would be neato.  Then we could make coffee and use the toaster oven.  Possibly the microwave.

I do know that the electric stove is not going to work as it takes too much power.  I think I will be cooking a bunch of things tomorrow (all day) and then just need to reheat food for the duration.  However long or short it is.

IF IT SNOWS.  

1 comment:

Tracy said...

It sounds like the electrician that originally wired your house did ours too. Particularly the garage connection, although ours is a detached garage. I wonder if they just wired everything up and threw the main switch, if it worked, good, don't question how. Very illogical, and each time I have a problem, I learn a bit more just how convoluted our system is. Our generator hasn't seem much use for the past two winters, I still make sure to have enough gas to run it on hand. Hope the snow blows out to sea.