Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Field Notes- No Pictures September 20th 10am.

 Yesterday daughter called Triage Nurse at husband's primary care doctor.... He had fallen again that morning slamming hard into the closet doors and then slumped on the floor in pool of urine.

Tricky getting him upright...and then into shower and then dressed.

Daughter arrived with belated Birthday Treats.  Thank goodness.

She used to be a Social Worker......not a  Gardener.  

She Social Worked.  

Called 911 and gave them a heads up of what they were going to find.

Took four of them to get husband down the front steps and onto the gurney without him face planting. It's like he has no idea where surfaces are......the ER tested (imaging) for brain malfunction. No results yet. Well, there may be results we don't know about. Yet.

The firemen looked at me in amazement.....how had I managed......yes...let's consider that.

So...he finally got a room well past midnight.  (we were in ER since noon)

We got home around 1am.  One cup of bad coffee from an ER tech.  Daughter had her work lunch with her. I packed for today- drinks and energy bars.

I had a load of wash in the dryer and one in the washer because he had wet the bed- I had to put sheets on the bed......so very late when I fell into bed.

I woke and wondered where husband was........it's like my mind erased the day. I was getting up to go find him and see what had befallen him......  It all came back.

It all just came back.......how had I forgotten?   Well, I have his real eye glasses for today.. Charged up iPhones....hearing aids.  Word Search Puzzles if he wants.  

And a Fresh Notebook and pen.  Not Washing Machine Pages... this notebook will start with the 911 call and record it all......  I might not be doing this much writing in future posts.....or I might.  I have no idea of what my Life will look like going forward.......not a clue.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best as you deal with your husband’s health issues. I went thru this a year ago with my husband so I know just how hard it is. Be sure to take care of your own health and accept help whenever it is offered. My thoughts are with you from afar.

Anonymous said...


Joanne, thinking of you — many of us have been through this numbing experience. We do what is needed even though we struggle. Am happy your daughter is close. If you can, make decisions about the future slowly. Hugs. Audrey in Nelson, BC


Kim Carney said...

Oh boy, hate to hear this. Glad your daughter came. Keeping my fingers crossed for you all.

Angie said...

Thinking of you guys daily. These are such hard times. Do try to take care of yourself.

beverly said...

I am sorry to hear this Joanne. Thoughts are with you. Take care of yourself.

Susan Sawatzky said...

I'm so proud of you for going ahead and doing what had to be done. You are strong.

Much love headed your way

Susan in Colorado, soon to be in Oregon

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Holding you close. I'm glad you are writing the story in your notebook. It's therapy.

DogStarArt said...

Keeping you and your family in my thoughts, and hope you also take care of yourself. Glad your daughter and son are able to help you.