Friday, December 08, 2017

On the Eighth Day Of December


Art- Catherine-White from ArtPropelled

Everything in the yard this morning looks dry, brown and brittle.  Winter creeps closer.

My frustration with folding origami stars increased last evening.  I had ceased being able to fold and cut the starting pentagon.  Before--I made pentagons easily but folding the stars was impossible.  So frustrating.  At the end of the evening I have one successful but lopsided star made from old stationary paper.  It sits here leaning on the computer-- as if to say--you thought you'd be good at this?

As the days fly past me--I must begin drawing my series of 12 Christmas cards.  I have the Kraft paper cards (brown) and the white Gelli pens.  I need an idea.  In the card supply drawer I found some of the fabric trees I made that very first year I tried "making" my own cards.  I found them in my father's things when I emptied his house.

I make but do not keep.  So I have no small collection of these cards.  I have only the memory of making them.  And, that is enough.  But it was lovely to hold the card with the silk tree in my hands again and wonder at the time that has passed since I sewed the bits together.  I think of Jude Hill's trees and moons. Ephemeral.  Here and yet...not.

Perhaps, if the Fates allow.....a small folded star in each card.  I still want to believe I would be good at this.  But...not perfect.

1 comment:

Life Scraps and Patches said...

You ARE good at this. You will fall into your groove and those stars will slip easily from your hands.