Friday, February 05, 2021

Daily Notes- February 5th


 Found in an old Bon Appetite magazine.  For Canning and Pickling Season.  I love line drawings like this and should make a practice of setting up a few items and drawing them.  I have jars just like these and a spool of kitchen string exactly like the one in this drawing.  I do not have a small crock.  I believe the item center bottom is a funnel.  Fits inside the canning jar to help get the pickles or jam into the jar. Mine is red plastic.  Have had it forever.

I have to get my seed starting going.  Last year I waited a few weeks too long.  And I had to wait again in the Spring for my tiny seedlings to be ready to transplant. My major stumbling point is identifying what's planted in the milk jugs.  Sun fades ink.  I have to figure something out. Past ideas haven't worked very well.  Re-inventing the wheel until one works I guess.

Wild Turkey's in the back yard this morning.  Pecking and walking around.  Husband says they are too large to get going enough to fly.  I think there are too many trees- no good open spot to "get going'. I would have enjoyed watching them fly off in formation.

A friend sent me a link to a senior center art class (vimeo video).  When I moved to Maine I was too young to be a senior citizen and couldn't take Connie's classes.  Connie had been recommended to me by the instructor at my Botanical Drawing class at the Morton Arboretum.  I rather enjoyed drawing an exact copy of something rather than making something up.  Art classes in college were supposed to be "creative or abstract" in the mid 1960's. So in 1989-90 I found exact botanical drawing quite lovely.  Which then morphed into needle turn appliqué of realistic flowers and leaves.  A natural progression which has come full circle as I am now interested in doing botanical drawing again.  It's quiet, serene and gentle.

Connie said in her video- any regular pencil and any blank piece of paper are good enough to get you started.  All supplies are readily available at any Dollar Store.  Well, I have everything Connie mentioned as "supplies" right here on the desk.  Even the "luxury" of colored pencils which Connie said were nice but not necessary.  I saw a blog post recently of drawings a man has made on sales receipts or any slip of paper he finds.  Art is available.  No special supplies needed.  

You might need to buy a pencil sharpener.  My dad sharpened his pencils with a pocket knife.  I have a most excellent German pencil sharpener. I bought it when we lived in Germany and have kept it in constant use when we moved back to the USA. It adjusts to the perfect sharpening distance.  Love it.

That is my creative endeavor these days.  Drawing- first on my desk top calendar, in my notebooks, and now.......a dedicated art notebook?  I should have one somewhere- more than one..... I will just need to decide on the surface of the pages.  Smooth or rough.  Plenty of typing paper here as well.  

I liked reading the creative endeavors of my two readers.  Any one else want to chime in???

5 comments:

Liz A said...

Once we cleared the heavy brush at our Hill Country house the wild turkeys started to roost in the trees at night ... they do need a bit of runway, but once launched they fly almost straight up

Life Scraps and Patches said...

I seem to be transitioning from art-type quilting to follow-the-pattern-directions. I don't know if it's pandemic related, a sense of control, perhaps. I miss my creativity but am also enjoying learning new ways of stitching.

Paula, the quilter said...

I'm still quilting. Lots. So far I've made and given away 13 quilts (one of them a whopping 103x103") since last March. Along with 8 pairs of tube socks knitted from leftover sock yarn. I haven't made a dent in the yarn. Do you still need some gray yarn? I might have some but it won't be solid gray. Since it is sock yarn it will be 75%wool and 25% polymide nylon.

Susan Sawatzky said...

Like "Life Scraps & Patches" I have transitioned from art quilts to pattern direction quilts. I've made about ten since this pandemic began. Some have been twin bed size, but most have been lap quilts. All have been made using patterns I just wanted to try to see what they actually look like in "my" colors. All have been given away, to hospice & chemo at local hospital through my quilt guild, and a couple to neighbors. Four to my kids qualify as art quilts and were very small, 8" x 8", given for Christmas gifts.

Now I have a simple Missouri Star pattern to try, a Cactus garden.

Deb Lacativa said...

The cartoons you send with Charlie's letters are so excellent. Better than a lot of children's' books I've looked at. That, plus your most excellent printing.
His package was received today and a project is afoot!