Saturday, February 13, 2021

Daily Notes- February 13th


 Today you have an image of a Tomato Cage I saw in a book or magazine and drew into my notebook. Branches from tree pruning are arranged and tied to form the "cage".  I have branches piled in the old yellow garden wagon.  Ready to go as soon as they thaw out.  The branches and the wagon are frozen in snow out back.

Seeds.  February is Seed Time. When I think about last season and what I want for this season. Last year- Seeds were started after the big COVID shut down March 20th.  I know this because I had a big class scheduled (to teach) on the 21st.  Last year I started herb and flower seeds.  I wanted flowers. And I got flowers.  So many tall and exuberant marigolds.  And my herb garden was bountiful. My tomatoes had a very rough time of it.  A big wind (tornado) blew them all down. They never really recovered. Though I did give bags of cherry tomatoes to my friends.

The vegetable part of last year was dismal.  And something ate all the blueberries. Not birds.  I had my flag flying.  Chipmunks I think, as the yard was full of them running back and forth.  And the grapes had a real struggle and never made any grapes.  I had little to no pollination of cucumbers or squash.  Comfrey was abundant.  And it flowered.  This year the grapes will get a very severe pruning and if the comfrey has set seedlings- I will move them (seedlings) close to the grape vines. To encourage bees to visit.

So..... more marigolds (I saved seeds), parsley and dill, Allie will provide tomato seedlings I hope, And I will give pickling cucumbers a second chance but in grow boxes this time.  I never did get any zucchini which was very sad.  I had to buy them.  And I discovered grocery store tomatoes left on a table in the very warm vestibule- ripen up and taste very very good.  So, I can be eating tomatoes in late June and July like everyone else.  Not late August and September.....because June here in Maine is still cold. I was eating my own tomatoes in September and early October- mostly in soup.

Outside- very cold and white.  Snow covering the lawn.  I discovered a mostly empty little set of drawers (IKEA back in the early 1980's) And I might move it.  Use the drawers for art supplies.  Most of the coat closet shelving is packed with art supplies.  I need to measure first and move it after I measure. Or tuck it into the little Magic Closet in the sewing room.  You have NO IDEA what a frigging mess that room is these days.  Stuff everywhere.  The floor is covered in piles of cloth......I was searching for the perfect something................well, you know how that goes.

No comments: