Saturday, March 10, 2018

Just Another Saturday

I was busy, yesterday, cleaning up the bookcase and doing some stitching to keep busy while the furnace man was here.  I had to be visible to the dog as he was "anxious" over the noises coming from the crawl space under the house.

During my "busy-ness" I noticed this little 6 inch piece pinned to the wall and very dusty and dirty. So this morning I washed it in the sink with some Dawn.  And it's now drying flat on the kitchen island. The baskets were sewn by machine but the handles were appliquéd by hand.

I remembered making this while my husband and daughter were off skiing in Vermont--long ago. And I am reminded that the making took an entire day.  I think I intended to make more--but..... the process wasn't what I would recall as being "fun".  It could become a "center" for something in the next few weeks?

And here we have the in progress patchwork--all stitched by hand, but at a much faster rate (I must be getting better with this as I get older?)  In order to make the nine patch I had to UNSEW one patch and replace with another as the long strips were all the white fabric squares.  Then I stitched the three rows together.  I then had two sets of two rows each but they looked boring so I decided to unsew some white squares and add in blue ones.  Except it was trickier as the hole left by the unsewing was U shaped.  So three sides to stitch on each blue replacement.  But I managed.  Now I am planning to do the long seam on each to stitch them to the center.  The nine patch is the onion dyed fabric.  The blue was a tea bag and a tiny spot of blue craft paint.  So not plant based.  Though I do know now I can get a sort of blue with red cabbage and lemon juice.  Actually more of a violet.  But I am liking this small patch project.

I got my haircut yesterday.  I mentioned that I thought the previous cut was a bit too short.  And while looking at my hair-- the stylist reflected that it did indeed look like a few areas had been cut a bit too much.  "A few areas".   Now that made my day.

G brought home a cherry pie from Whole Foods in Portland.  They just never have any cherry when I shop there and G said this pie--here in my house--was the ONLY cherry pie.  I feel so amazingly happy about that.  Really.  People say I am so difficult to please.  Whole Foods Cherry Pie.  Easy.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Cute little basket block, miniatures aren't my favorite to piece, I agree time consuming,....and that dyed piece, love it!

Life Scraps and Patches said...

Your pretty dyed piece and cherry pie. Two lovely things. Not that the basket piece isn't lovely too, it just reminds me more of a different time. Like when we had those books of pictures of various quilt blocks.