Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Continuing With Plant Based Dyes


Top is more of the dried onion skins.  Second is not plant based but is from vinegar and rusted nails and other things from G's workshop ( very India Flint), bottom row left is from the bag of spent geranium flowers-red ones.  On the right, hot pink spent geraniums. All got placed on wet cotton fabric, wrapped up in foil packets, pounded with a meat mallet and steamed for about 25 minutes in a steamer over simmer water.  The nails etc did not get pounded.  The reverse of the rusty things cloth is much darker.  This image is of the backside.  I thought it would photograph better--I was wrong.

None of the green things took any color.  And I haven't found anything blue yet.  The colors are a bit more intense but today we have cloud cover and no sun at all.  Storm coming.  Lots of snow and the "promise" of power outages.  More snow than the January storm which was awful.

And to make things more fun--the TiVo remote has decided it won't turn on the TV or adjust the volume.  G tried all the many "fixes" the service support (joke) at TiVo had for us.  The good news is that the sound level is perfectly okay with us.  And, as I told G, I don't mind unplugging the tv to "turn off" the tv.  The TiVo is working perfectly (knock wood) and recording things and being in contact with the Mother Ship via a cable connection and a phone connection.  I am thinking the problem may be Samsung.  The TV itself.  I don't know and, at this point, don't care.

I am going to make a big pot of chicken soup for G.  He'll be out snowblowing into the night tonight.
I'm thinking it might be time (his age) to think about hiring someone to plow the driveway.  G could still do the edges and walkways.  Next Winter.

I just keep repeating.......we need this snow to hydrate the Earth which has been short of water here in Maine for years now.  Once, not long ago, we had a vernal pool on the west side of the yard.  It filled (filled!!) with melted snow water each Spring and peepers bred and ducks would stop to swim and Riley (then a few years old) would jump into the pool and chase the ducks and then enjoy a swim.  It's been a long time since that has happened.

I stitched two more rows of seven squares while watching the Government and the White House self destruct.  So sad, as Trump would say.  Where are the grown ups?


2 comments:

DianeN said...

I love seeing the results from your dye experiments. It's always a surprise seeing how different things turn out. When I have done it I like knowing that one piece will never be the same as any other.

Life Scraps and Patches said...

My mother used to dye Easter eggs with onion skins. Brings back memories.