Wednesday, March 14, 2018

I'll Go With Vincent Today


He may have been "mental" as my Boston friend says, but Vincent is and was magnificent.  The colors themselves are lifting my spirits on this "all white" day here in Maine.  It snowed for over 24 hours.  And it looks like it is still snowing.  We are completely house bound until G can get out there to start clearing the driveway.

I am learning to make coffee in the Keurig.  Packing coffee into the little plastic thingy and then doing 8 ounces and then 4 more to fill my big Polish Pottery mug.  No morning paper.  But the power is on.  My coffee maker gave up on me yesterday morning.  I guess it just lost the will to live. It happens with people, why not appliances?

We are watching "The Alienist".  I am lost.  I am really having trouble following the plot here.  Might have to read the book to figure it out.  Two more episodes.  It's wonderful to just look at though. Dirty and crowded and ugly but beautifully presented.

I spent yesterday traveling with Jude Hill on her Small Journey site.  85 posts with audio and video and all that.  Somewhere along -#60 or so, I reunited with the concept of Page.  I had seen it on a blog post and was quite taken with the concept of a book and pages made of sewn bits of cloth.

I found additional posts (I must have stopped reading her daily posts- or missed these) about "page" and found out what happened next.  I made many notes.  The original "page" was 5 squares by 7 squares.   And----the block I made out of my antique cotton and plant dyed experiments is five blocks by seven blocks.   A memory?  Had I stored that in my brain?

I was very conscious of "needing" to sew more blocks and add more strips and then knew to STOP when I had 5 by 7.  Jude's squares are one inch.  Mine are two inches. (so mine is actually a double wide page) And on her second "page" she stops using matching thread and starts using contrasting thread to sew the squares together.  I used green thread.  Not white.  From the start.  Perhaps I had also seen the second page.

But then I didn't know what to do.  Now I do.  I sent Jude a thank you note via email.

I don't know why I opened that particular file -Small Journeys- and I don't know why I continued to read every entry......for hours...but I am very very glad I did.  Now to cut one inch squares.

1 comment:

Gretchen said...

I wasn't familiar with Jude Hill. I went to her site and love it...I may just do what you did...go through all of them.. Thanks. We missed the snow here in NYC, actually for both storms. I can just imagine how much you guys got in Maine. I remember one storm about five years ago when I lived in Maine, the snow was over the hood of my SUV...lots of shoveling. Keep safe and warm...
gretchen