Thursday, July 11, 2013

Life Is Puzzling


I am often confounded by what happens in a day.  Or a pair of days.  One day you feel like crying because life doesn't seem fair.  The next, you are given a "gift" that you aren't sure you deserve, but take it, with gratitude, anyway.  And enjoy the happiness it brings.

That's the way I'm rolling.

The garden looks good.  I tied up the tomato plants (need to find another old tee shirt to tear up for ties), planted the 36 parsley plants, the 36 basil seedlings (so cute and fragrant) and moved mulch to uncover a garden snake.  That was the end of my gardening for the day.  Hate snakes.  Oh, before the snake, I picked peas and when I came inside--I ate them along with the handful of red raspberries I picked.

People ask what I make with my garden produce.  Not much.  I usually eat it, right there in the garden.

My fig tree has the "possibility" of figs.  The one at work has bigger fig nubs on it.  Some of the leaves look funny (on my tree) so I gave the tree a combination of things to boost it's health.  Like a fertilizer smoothie.  I think the difference is the tree at work gets watered every day.  G is watering every other day.

My experiment (for 2013) was planting my yellow crookneck summer squash in the old compost pile.  Yowza!!!  Those plants look fabulous.  I think squash and pumpkins need to be planted in compost or dirt with tons of manure mixed in.  And if you have problems with squash bugs--- stop mulching around your squash.  They don't need it and the bugs love it.

I'm thinking of doing some research on smoothies.  Everyone seems to be making and drinking them and I am totally clueless about the process.  I can't use the frozen bananas (carbs) but if any of you have a favorite smoothie---think about sharing.  I'm not sure about the green ones--but am willing to try.

2 comments:

Paula, the quilter said...

I usually just grind fruit with ice. Even better, just freeze the fruit before grinding. I don't use yogurt because I am
Lactose intolerant and it seems to be in a lot of the 'recipes'.

Unknown said...

Full fat unsweetened coconut milk (trader joe's brand is good) or almond milk, frozen berries (low carb) kale or spinach (you won't taste it). If you want protein throw in a soft boiled (or raw, if you are inclined) egg, ice. This sometimes my breakfast. :)