Sunday, July 07, 2013

Another Hot Day At Work


I spent some of my Saturday off working on a fiber piece.  And adding a few lines of hand stitching.  I don't know if this will amount to "anything" but ever since I watched that video at the art museum  where the painter just kept covering the canvas with paint again and again--- well, I can do that with fabric.  Almost everything  here has been painted or pressed into wet paint (mono print) so I feel like I am working toward something.  Who knows what.

I am always struck when I see my hands in a photo.  My grandmother's hands.  I loved her and she loved me.  A gardener.  A wonderful cook.  A creative woman who made the nicest aprons to keep her dresses clean.  A fresh, starched apron every day.  She used pretty calicos and bias tape around all the edges and pockets.  She did the most amazing crochet while she watched anything with Barbara Stanwick or afternoon soaps.  My grandmother came to America when she was 16.  Steerage. And she was so American.  We would take the bus to Woolworth's "down town" and have grilled cheese sandwiches.  I was 7 or 8.  She handmade a princess costume for me out of orange crepe paper when I was 4.  I need to find that photo.


Riley didn't have a walk today.  Instead G took him to the boat ramp in the river.  And for one and a half hours Riley retrieved.  Yes, he did.  He won't fetch a ball.  No, never will.  But these sticks that G has on ropes?  Yes, he will.  This guy loves to swim.  And loves to fetch sticks out of the water.

Riley was hot and bothered by flies yesterday.  Today he was one cool dog.  Love that dog!!!

G has a pan of cheese nachos ready to go in the oven.  Sigh.  A cool shower, dry clothes and nachos.  I think I am a very happy girl right now.  Masterpiece tonight.  Endeavor.  Early Morse.  Good stuff.

1 comment:

Annie said...

I like your piece you're working on and your hands. I dislike my hands, I have the wormy veins that really creep me out! : )

I think we all had a grandmother that we loved dearly. Mine was a fabulous seamstress too. I still have some doll clothes that she made and the doll that wears them. I keep it on my bedroom bureau.

I so regret that I'm not a grandmother.

Where did your grandmother come from? Mine was Irish, but born in this country,my maternal meme was from Quebec, Canada.