Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Topless Trees

The chain saw was in use all day today as limbs and tops were cut from the 15 trees in the backyard.  The yard is littered with cut branches and 16 foot tall topless trees.  It looks like a war zone.  Ugly.

Tomorrow they will chip all day and then cut the topless trees into 4 foot segments and carry everything off to a local meat cutting plant.  They use a wood fired boiler to heat water and accept any wood--even pine for the boiler.

Things always have to look worse before they can look better.  G feels that I won't like all the newfound "sun" and open look to this side of the yard.  But I can already see the hardwoods (maples and oaks) perking up a bit and enjoying the front row after so many years of standing in the wings.  The little shed even looks cuter now that it is out in the open.

The shredder is out front waiting for morning.  It's the huge kind that they use in horror movies to shred bodies.  Shiver!

We are "vacationing" by eating out and I had a bacon cheeseburger (no bun) at Applebee's today for lunch with steamed veggies instead of fries.  It didn't really fill me up so I needed to have some cheese and ham 2 hours later.  Dinner was salmon, oven roasted with lemon butter sauce and broccoli.  This is the third time in my life I ate salmon and it was good.  G had Saltimbocca ala Roma.  I stayed with the diet. Today made 3 weeks on Induction.  Tomorrow, I begin week four with coffee cream, avocados, radishes and 5 turnips which I intend to make into "turnip fries".  I hope they taste better than the MIM do.

I finished the Icelandic mystery book today.  And I have been dreaming of ways to make the French fabric circles appliqued to squares more "exciting".  By adding more hand appliqued parts to some of the squares.  They were too simple.  I like complicated things.  Tomorrow is Flag Day.  Fly Old Glory if you have one.

No comments: