Friday, June 24, 2011

Not Mine

"Rapt in Reverie" by Alison Goodwin.  Oil pastel on acrylic on paper.  23 by 23.  Greenhut Galleries, ME.

This art work is on the cover of the Bowdoin International Music Festival booklet.  I saw it when G and I went out to dinner one night on our Staycation.  He thought it was something I had made.  I thought it was definitely something I could have made.  The circles.  The black at the bottom with the little points.  Not so much in the multitude of little green "leaf" dots at the top.  The colors are ones I use all the time.  Fascinating, no?

I don't know what is going on in my "snowflake" (each one is unique) body but I'll take it.  I slept until 11 this morning.  I am wearing size 14 jeans (go figure, huh?).  I did drink a quart of extra liquids yesterday (which had an interesting laxative effect) and intend to do the same thing today.  I managed my food poorly yesterday.  Not that I overate--it's just that I ate things that didn't satisfy my idea of a "meal".  Scattered, piecemeal.  Strawberries.  Two steamed artichokes with butter.  Cheese rolled up with cold sliced roast beef (ugh! disgusting!!!) and covered in horseradish sauce because it was so disgusting and I couldn't eat it plain.  And the half a jar of tea.  Then coffee.

This morning: my new favorite way to eat egg beaters.  Onion, sliced deli ham, spinach, 1 oz grated cheddar and eggs.  Fried into a pancake sort of affair and then turned over to crisp up that side also.  My coffee has cream and one eighth of a teaspoon of Splenda.  I'm just going to have to get used to that taste.  I like my coffee sweeter.

It's cold today and raining.  My new lenses are in and I should call and see if they can insert them into my frames today.  It will take about an hour and I will be without glasses for that hour.  What will I do?  I can wear my old glasses, like I am right now, as a test.  Wow.  Like being sea sick.  Wow.  I think I will call and see if I can get the lenses exchanged while I go down the street and browse the Health Food store looking for strange, new sweeteners, flours (soy, almond), and sugar free things.  Chocolate would be nice. Let's hope I don't throw up.  It's disturbing to see how much my vision has deteriorated in just 15 months.

I noticed my level of ability at the book sale set up had slowed some also in the past year.  I usually was finished with my tasks before 2 pm leaving me time to do other things.  I was "just" done at the closing bell of 4:30.  No time for any extra tasks at all.  This might be a good indicator of why my full time status at work was so exhausting this year.  I am going to be 65 in September.  I have to learn to pace myself more efficiently.  Not that I ever want a job that involves sitting at a desk all day (though I do spend quite a bit of time here, sitting and typing) but I think standing all day, lifting heavy objects, and bending over low display tables to water or straighten plants is more strenuous than it was 4 years ago when I began.

As to becoming 65:  Any advice on the whole "Choose Your Medicare" thing?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Joanne - Good for you for continuing to persevere with your diet plan. I have a couple of suggestions for you:

Definitely drink more water. Carry a 32oz water bottle with you everywhere and sip on it all day. Start your day off with one glass of water. Aim for 2-3 fill ups of the bottle over the course of the day. Sounds like a lot, I know, but you will notice a big difference. Especially on Atkins you need to drink a LOT of water. My drinking plan - one bottle before 10AM, one bottle before 2PM, and finish the last bottle with dinner. I try to end water consumption before 7PM or I am up a lot during the night.

Your body is probably clinging to water because of your low hydration. And, most probably it was the tea that "created the laxative effect," - large amounts of anything "sugar-free" can have this effect.

You will pee a LOT at first, but your body will eventually adjust. This is an easy thing to try out to see if it works for you. Give it 2 weeks.

Aloha, Dianna

P.S. Cody says "hi" to Riley! :)