Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Friend Of Twelve By Twelve- Spice

I can't believe I got this finished by the deadline.  Instead of the literal interpretation of the selected spice colors I did more of a "spicy" hot sauce vibe.  I used hand painted fabric (my own and Sonji Hunt's), slivers of an African print blouse and commercial cotton.  I set myself the parameters of using what still remained in the workroom and didn't go upstairs and use any of the 75% I moved up there this winter.  The red print looks much sharper in person.  I may also paint over the top of some portions.  Can you tell I have been watching Quilting Arts on PBS.  Nothing's finished until you add some " advertised product".  I did not use any fusibles.

G and I went out to the Freeport Cafe for breakfast and I had the scrambled egg "bowl" with onion, peppers, ham and cheese.  I skipped the home fries that came in the regular bowl that G ordered and the toast.  I also tried the little packet of Splenda in my coffee and 1/3 of a packet was a good amount to sweeten my coffee.

Working only three days now.  Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday this week.  And the weekdays I work till 7 or 7:15.  Promised the Thursday crew a blueberry cake.  For some reason, baking for the boys makes the diet seem less restrictive.

On the way home, G & I did some shopping at the Freeport outlets.  I purchased a new down blanket for our bed.  The winter down comforter was getting too heavy and hot now that summer has arrived in Maine.  G & I don't like the cotton quilt on the bed--it doesn't feel cozy enough. I also purchased a wool bed topper to put on our bed to make it more luxurious.  50% off the $500 price tag. Then we stopped at the Gap outlet and I bought 50% off long sleeve tees, tank tops and v neck tees.  The v neck tees have to go back--I want them looser.

Riley and G just got back from their walk in the woods.  Riley went swimming (to get all the mud off himself) and is now wet and doggy.  But VERY happy.  G is getting the stoop chairs and the little table down from the attic and I want to plant flowers into my stoop container boxes (they now have sturdy new bottoms).  I bought a fragrant varigated leaf lantana (yellow flowers) to add to the Scabiosa (blue) and petunias white and purple with a white stripe). I also have a flat of pink snapdragons.  All my favorite colors.  Sky blue, yellow, pink and white.  Add some lime green and I'm happy.  I did want to buy some paint for the boxes as I don't think the green I used is "pow" enough.

And I have to do the weekly grocery shopping.  The fridge is almost bare.  I really should empty it and wash all the shelves today.  I do like a squeaky clean fridge.  So much for a "day off" huh?

5 comments:

Annie said...

Love your 12x12. My favorite colors, red and yellow.

: )

Diane N said...

The 12 x 12 spice piece is just beautiful. I am very taken with it.

Sounds like you had a good day. Me too! Hurray for both of us!

Terry Grant said...

Love the 12 x 12 piece. It makes me think of a view through a microscope.

kathy said...

this piece is great! I'm still waiting to see all of them in the same place. And as for your diet, it sounds like you're doing well. I've thought of doing Atkins again since you've started it, but I think I'm too much of a 'summer fruity'. I'll wait till fall maybe.

dee said...

Wonderful colors and design Joanne. You have such a great eye for composition. Yummy!